• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What's in your filter?

Okay guys and gals I need some professional advice. My wife agreed to get me fish stuff for christmas!!!!! This is a big deal in my house. Anyway I need some opinions on the best canister filter combos. I have an fx5 but imo it doesnt matter the filter its the media that matters. So what's in your filters? I have a heavily stocked (packed) 125 with lots of waste. Any ideas on good media? Also I have read conflicting info, I believe water starts on the top and goes down with fluval but can anyone verify this? Are there any prefilters that could be used with this filter?
Thanks all for the help!
Dan

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zackcrack00

Members
I use AC filters and sponge filters. On my AC (AquaClear) filters, I have biomedia, (they grow beneficial bacteria) ammonia remover (recommended for over-stocked tanks, and a large sponge.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
In my canisters, I run mostly bio media. I use Seachem pond matrix in my FX5's and the stock foam pads. I don't use any polishing pads in my canisters, as I find the clog quickly.

Although others may use chemical filtration (carbon, ammonia removers, etc.) I do not. I found over the years that they are really an expense that isn't needed with healthy fish and regular water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ading522

Members
I agree with Jon on using ammonia removers and other biochemical media is a huge expense and can be avoided with regular water change. I have a heavily stocked 125 with a some fx5 running on it..I just have two powerful 800 gph powerhead to move water around.. On my fx5, the bottom tray contains bio rings and stock filter pads on the sides.. For trays two and three, i use a mechanical filtration setup.. Stock filter pads and the blue media pads.. They do clog up easy as I have to rinse them off every month or so.. But it pays off to see clear water.. In my opinion even if I have to do monthly maintenance it works for me..I guess its all about personal preference. Here's my 125..just did a huge water change tonight and re arranged the rock work as I have re introduced a bully victim and took out some recent victims and two holding mothers.. Credits to my wife who helped redo the deco.. :)

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1386464426358.jpg

I also use a karolia 1500 and 750 I find it doesn't allow waste to get a chance to sink to the bottom where it would eventually pile up. I have some eddys where it still builds up but a gravel vac weekly takes care of that (except for the L190 poo that requires a bit more frequency). Never really use chemical either not sure why mainly due to cost. I see bio media referenced a lot I have bio balls that came with it, should I switch to the fluval bio media? I also see fluval pre filter media that looks just like the bio media is it the same thing? Thanks for the quick responses. Also has anyone ever tried to make a prefilter that goes inside the giant fluval intake strainer? Would this work? They make G6 prefilters that go on the intake could this or something like it work on the fx5 without causing cavitation?

mchambers

Former CCA member
I don't know much about Fluvals, but I use sponges and biomedia on my canisters. I don't think there's much difference between the various types of biomedia, but I understand that bioballs are only used in sumps, not canisters.

I don't like filter floss in canisters, because it clogs too quickly.

rsretep

Members
My fx3 has three sponges in bottom tray (one large,2 fine) next tray bio balls, last tray plastic kitchen scrub pads (like used for cleaning dishes) works for me

blkmjk

Members
Lava rock... Got the idea from Nick it is cheap as heck and works great s far as I can tell.

Drew

NO GOOD DEED SHALL GO UNPUNISHED!

toddnbecka

Members
I use 2 sponges in my AC 110's, 3 in the AC 70's, and the Eheim canisters are packed with biomedia in the bottom with sponges/blue/white bulk filter pad in the upper baskets. Note, sponges are also biomedia, and they collect debris more effectively than ceramic media or similar materials.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Also has anyone ever tried to make a prefilter that goes inside the giant fluval intake strainer? Would this work? They make G6 prefilters that go on the intake could this or something like it work on the fx5 without causing cavitation?

I would not go this route. I am fairly convinced you'd clog the intake and possibly damage the filter. I use a prefilter sponge and intake for a mag12 pump on one of my fx5s in place of the fx5 strainer. It works well but I need to rinse it weekly.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I always "over stuff" my filters. I stuffed the HOB on my turtle tank so much that water started pouring over the back and onto the floor, when I came home from school the tank was almost empty!
The main culprits: lots of biomax, carbon, foam, and other crap.

ddavila06

Members
mine only have the ceramic rings and the sponges that came w it. i sometimes add peat moss to the extra chambers i have..

rich_one

Members
I run all ACs and one Eheim. I basically only run sponges and biomedia, but will on occasion use carbon/ammonia remover combo for chemical filtration.

-Rich

toddnbecka

Members
I just put them over the intake strainers of the aquaclears and fluvals. If there are pleco's or catfish in the tank I use a small chunk of sponge to plug the hole in the bottom of the hydro sponge. I've had a couple fish get their spines stick in them and found their corpses when I cleaned the prefilters. Quite helpful for keeping duckweed or other plants from clogging the intake strainers, and for keeping shrimp and snails out of the filters.

ddavila06

Members
I just put them over the intake strainers of the aquaclears and fluvals. If there are pleco's or catfish in the tank I use a small chunk of sponge to plug the hole in the bottom of the hydro sponge. I've had a couple fish get their spines stick in them and found their corpses when I cleaned the prefilters. Quite helpful for keeping duckweed or other plants from clogging the intake strainers, and for keeping shrimp and snails out of the filters.

great idea! i use aquaclear filter foam for that purpose, just cut to size and put it in.

AquaStudent

Members
I have a Fluval 306 on my AC tank and I run sponges and ceramic pellets and switched out carbon for Aragonite. It's buffered the water a bit more.