• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help with air pumps

olzkool

Members
I am totally redoing my breeding/ fry system. As of right now I have a million hang in the tank net breeder boxes that are holding fry until they are big enough for the growout tanks. So many that I now have a bunch of tanks set up just for boxes. I am getting tired of constantly having to take fry out, clean the mesh, put the fry back in, etc. Then eventually I have to just swap them out with new ones after a while. Not to mention I am losing a lot of valuable tank space. I would like to go with around 10 or 12 of the large marina hang on the outside boxes and partition each into two. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what size air pump I need to handle that. I don't want a bunch of small pumps plugged in everywhere. I also want a good bit of flow. I tried one of the boxes with a whisper dual outlet and it just doesn't move enough water for me. Any help would be appreciated, or other ideas like 2.5 or 5 gal tanks with sponges, etc. I'm just at my wits end with all the downsides to net boxes
Thanks
Chris

Becca

Members
I like the Marina boxes on larger tanks because then the fry have the full benefit of however many gallons are in the tank. Of course, you have to be careful about clogging/overflowing them and about fry getting through the overflow grate. A piece of nylon stocking can prevent this, but then the overflow will clog more quickly.

I got a pump from Matt that I love (dogofwar) - he may remember what brand it was. It can, supposedly, handle up to 16 outlets, but it does start to run out of steam at around 12 if you aren't careful about adjusting flow to individual tanks outlets.

I also have a 2-outlet version of this - http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-pumps/fusion-air-pumps.html. It is super quiet and plenty powerful, and I think they make a 4-outlet version.

olzkool

Members
Thanks Becca. I can use manifolds for more outlets. I'm ok with pumps without a lot of outlets, as long as I have volume. Do I need one of those commercial ones like jehmco sells? What size?
Thanks

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I am totally redoing my breeding/ fry system. As of right now I have a million hang in the tank net breeder boxes that are holding fry until they are big enough for the growout tanks. So many that I now have a bunch of tanks set up just for boxes. I am getting tired of constantly having to take fry out, clean the mesh, put the fry back in, etc. Then eventually I have to just swap them out with new ones after a while. Not to mention I am losing a lot of valuable tank space. I would like to go with around 10 or 12 of the large marina hang on the outside boxes and partition each into two. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what size air pump I need to handle that. I don't want a bunch of small pumps plugged in everywhere. I also want a good bit of flow. I tried one of the boxes with a whisper dual outlet and it just doesn't move enough water for me. Any help would be appreciated, or other ideas like 2.5 or 5 gal tanks with sponges, etc. I'm just at my wits end with all the downsides to net boxes
Thanks
Chris

Hey Chris I have a few if the marina boxes they work great.
I will say there is an easier way an that's the sponges in a central air pump...hot mine used on eBay for $40.
Text me I can give you a few ideas

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
I think the one I have is Jehmco. It depends on how many lines you'll have running and the depth.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

olzkool

Members
Ok, so after looking at jehmco's site for an air pump, I am rethinking the whole room. I am currently running over 20 aqua clears at the moment for filtration. Mostly 110's, 70's, and a few 50's on small tanks. The 75 gal tanks have double 110's. I am sure this is contributing to my rediculous electric bill. Not to mention the cleaning of them, replacing shafts, stuck impellers, etc. so I am considering going to one giant air pump and a bunch of sponges. I could also use the pump to power all my fry tank sponges and my tumblers. The only thing holding me back is the fact all my tanks stay VERY clean and clear, and I would like to keep them that way. I am a little worried the sponges won't do the job and turn over nearly the amount of water I need especially in the 75's and the overcrowded tanks. Somebody who has experience please either talk me back to earth or tell me to make the move. I have never used sponges except on small tanks so I have zero experience with them.

olzkool

Members
Jehmco states there lph26 Air pump "uses only 26 watts of electricity to operate all 15 Aquariums! If these tanks were all run on Outside Power Filters you can expect to use upwards of 250 watts to do the same work! (We won’t even mention the impeller replacements and media costs with other filters."

Do you think that is accurate? I guess it depends on their idea of "the same work"

verbal

CCA Members
I would probably keep one AC 110 on the 75, but the smaller AquaClears can be replaced with a sponge filter or two. If you wanted to keep the same level of mechanical filtration you could use smaller aquaclears with filter floss for that and sponge filters for your bio filtration.

air pumps and sponges

Hey Chris-I use nothing but sponges in all my tanks. I do go overboard on the amount in each tank though. In my 90's and 75's I have 4-5 sponges-a mix of both regular and pro-my 37's to 50's have 3-5, etc, even my 20H angel breeder tanks always have 2, but no pros' in those as I have mostly parent raising pairs. Along with any 10's, I use 2 smaller sponges. I run Alita air pumps(a 15A and 25M for 45 tanks at the moment), economical and realitively quiet,it's still a linear pump. Check out Kens for the A15 or Angels Plus for a 25M(Ken does not carry that model-better than a 15A but smaller than the A40). I also use a Marineland HOT 250 when a tank might need a little polishing.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Almost my whole (50-60 tank) fishroom is filtered with air-driven pumps driven by 3 air pumps... very energy efficient.

I pair (air-driven) box filters (with higher air flow and primarily for mechanical filtration) and sponge filters (with lower air flow and primarily for bio) in most of my tanks.

Matt