• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help with breeding Laetacara thayeri

clearsky5

CCA Members
Ok... I have had a pair of thayeri for well over a year now, and the male seems to be such a bully....
I have gotten to the point where I have to have a screen in the tank to separate the two, or he will just smack the girl senseless...
I have tried pulling the screen out a couple times, but he still goes after her.
I am sure someone out there can help me out with this dilema....
david

dogofwar

CCA Members
I have three in a 2'x2'x1' tank and they bred for the first time a couple of weeks ago on the outside of a flowerpot.

The key was extra feeding over the long weekend and a big, warm water change.

Separate them and feed the female extra, including some live food. I use red wiggler worms. If she's plumped up, then she'll be more likely to breed.

If that doesn't work, I'd wonder if the female is actually a male. And then no amount of conditioning will work :)

Matt

clearsky5

CCA Members
Matt:
problem is... the male (who is much larger about double the size of the female) more colored andlonger fins, goes right after her as soon as I let them be together....
I had them in two separate tanks for a long time, as He beat the crap out of her to the point I thought I was going to lose her.... but she did come around. even to the point where she would eat out of my hand.
and when I finally did put the two of them in the same tank with a screen... they seemed to flirt a bit, but when I did take the screen out, he just womped her..... put her in a corner so I put the screen back.....
I will try to take pics but I am about 90 % sure it is a pair.....
was hoping for that silver bullet proof idea......
david

clearsky5

CCA Members
Ok..
so now I'm on the lookout for a couple more girls, or i get rid of a really pretty male that has a bit of a tude.....