• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hey Gardeners!

daninmd

Members
They were strawberrys with the mesh... I need to tie off some of the cucumber to the trellis just have been real busy recently I didn't plant any corn .... I buy dried shelled corn to burn in the winter from a local coop a ton at a time

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ok, thanks. I have used shelled corn cob in my smoker before, works pretty good.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
This is why I love the forum you learn something everyday....why not burn the cobs instead of the kernels? Just curious used to feed my pigeons corn to fatten them up for winter so never would have thought to use for heating

Acpape0

Members
This is why I love the forum you learn something everyday....why not burn the cobs instead of the kernels? Just curious used to feed my pigeons corn to fatten them up for winter so never would have thought to use for heating

It is a matter of btu per lbs. a high quality hardwood pellet will get about 8900 btu per lb. shelled and dry corn kernels get approx 9800 btu per lb.

Cobs are not fesable to burn.. Corn stoves work similarly to a pellet stove.. You add kernels to a hopper with a small auger at the bottom that feed the fire box. Cobs are way to big and give off very few btu

Btw fuel corn is tax free and last year I paid $162 at ton vs $229 per to of pellets plus tax.... And no the house does not smell like popcorn or make popping sounds

daninmd

Members
It is a matter of btu per lbs. a high quality hardwood pellet will get about 8900 btu per lb. shelled and dry corn kernels get approx 9800 btu per lb.

Cobs are not fesable to burn.. Corn stoves work similarly to a pellet stove.. You add kernels to a hopper with a small auger at the bottom that feed the fire box. Cobs are way to big and give off very few btu

Btw fuel corn is tax free and last year I paid $162 at ton vs $229 per to of pellets plus tax.... And no the house does not smell like popcorn or make popping sounds

hmm...no popcorn smell in the house? bummer

so corn is good for heating...and the cobs are good for smoking meat.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
hmm...no popcorn smell in the house? bummer

so corn is good for heating...and the cobs are good for smoking meat.

Lol or making pipes.
Where we live there is no where to store corn without attracting critters or it getting ****...then it prob will be to wet to burn...sounds better than our oil right now.

daninmd

Members
I have officially hit the point in the season where we give away more vegetables than we eat

yep, Im there too. had people over the weekend and made them take a ton of stuff.

on a bad note, I got a pretty good infestation of leaf footed bugs in my tomatoes now. going to start picking them a little earlier and letting them ripen in the house.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Adam might have to catch a few and take them over to your garden...
You could encourage beetles population by putting straw down around the base of the plants...if you have sunflowers they might be hanging out there in the mornings. If you kind find the copper colored eggs under the leaves just crush or remove them or the leaf.
Encourage more predators that eat them

Last edited:

spazmattik

Members
Does anyone know whats up with these spots? My pepper plant did this last year with the first few peppers it produced and then it stopped. These are the first few this year so i dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1405893680568.jpg

daninmd

Members
Does anyone know whats up with these spots? My pepper plant did this last year with the first few peppers it produced and then it stopped. These are the first few this year so i dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

looks like blossom end rot. usually caused by inconsistent watering. peppers like consistent watering, if they dry out too much then get too much water this can happen. but they also don't want too much water, so kind of a pain. try getting on a regular water schedule and adding some fertilizer high in calcium but low in nitrogen (high nitrogen can block absorption of calcium). I would remove all the damaged ones and see if it can recover

tomatoes also suffer from this same issue.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
looks like blossom end rot. usually caused by inconsistent watering. peppers like consistent watering, if they dry out too much then get too much water this can happen. but they also don't want too much water, so kind of a pain. try getting on a regular water schedule and adding some fertilizer high in calcium but low in nitrogen (high nitrogen can block absorption of calcium). I would remove all the damaged ones and see if it can recover

tomatoes also suffer from this same issue.

Very true.
Also removing a few of the peppers before (when they are small) actually reduces stress on the plant...allowing it to focus more resources to fewer peppers. In return you end up with bigger healthier fruit...

daninmd

Members
cleared out most of my garden yesterday and ordered seeds for fall planting!

going with a bunch of root vegetables along with fava beans and edamame. hopefully planting one evening this week.

going to keep the tomatoes and cukes, but everything else is coming out.