• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Snakehead. Pretty Darn Nasty

HoleyRockofTex

CCA Members
I wanted to share a few pictures of the snakehead I caught this past Sunday. I feel kind of bad since my fiancée was home sick but at least I was out of her hair lol. The Snakehead was 11.5 lbs and 31.5". I first heard the fish smack the water. I saw a shadowy figure in the water and know it had to be the snakehead. I casted in and sure enough it was. He followed the lure but would not take it. After the first cast its buddy came out which was similar in size but was not interested in my bait. I on my 4th cast i got him to follow and sit underneath the bait for a few seconds but when I moved it again nothing. The next cast I did the same thing but just left it. After about 8 seconds it finally decided to bite. After a good battle I was able to land this beast.

Spine

Members
+1 on where did you catch him. Also what lure did you use.

Never thought of eating one but they must taste good,that's the original reason they where brought here.

spazmattik

Members
Very cool catch. Seeing one makes my wonder why anyone ever tried to keep one in a home aquarium.

Lol same reason people want to keep african tiger fish... they are just cool! Lol..

Do they still give away bass pro gift cards for turning in snakeheads?

JasonC

Members
Not true, they encourage it but you can release them.

But that would be highly irresponsible.

Friggin' monster fish.... absolutely gorgeous creature, but you can definitely see why it is able to decimate an ecosystem when it has no natural predators!

Good catch!

daninmd

Members
But that would be highly irresponsible.

not sure it really matters at this point. they are here to stay and not going to be eliminated unfortunately. not killing one here or there isn't putting any dent in the population. these things breed and grow at incredible rates. just like the lionfish down in the Caribbean, its a losing war.

JasonC

Members
not sure it really matters at this point. they are here to stay and not going to be eliminated unfortunately. not killing one here or there isn't putting any dent in the population. these things breed and grow at incredible rates. just like the lionfish down in the Caribbean, its a losing war.

And thats the kind of attitude that leads to the zombie apocolypse! :lol:

In some ways, I agree... but considering the numbers in each of their spawns, and how frequently they are capable of spawning, you can absolutely prevent thousands more of these fish from entering the ecosystem by killing one or two. Loosing battle? yeah.. probably. But we determine how long it takes... and maybe if we prolong it long enough we can figure out a way to turn the tide.

At least to me that is better than just rolling over and admitting defeat...