• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Spring is Here?

chriscoli

Administrator
Seems like spring is mostly here and I feel like I'm behind on doing my garden tasks. We've got a lot of plans this year for adding to the yard.

This weekend....get started constructing some raised beds for vegetables. I also need to construct some compost bins. I had a 3-bin system in the old house and I miss it. The little tumbler that I have now is not doing it for us.

Soon....order a few pallets of fieldstone to make a dry-stacked wall to outline some of the beds in the front yard.

Soon....start working on adding some terracing to the backyard to control erosion and mulch migration. Our down-slope neighbors were thanking us for all the mulch we sent their way last summer. :(

Landscape lighting....both the front and backyard need some pathway lighting. I just need to find a style of low voltage path lighting that I like and install it.

This summer....we've got a hemlock tree that didn't fare well last summer and got worse over the winter. It's small, so I think it's DIY. I also want to add some more small-to-medium native trees to the landscape.

I got a bunch of seeds started this week. Mostly native plants that I want to add to the yard. Lots of milkweed and a few others that interested me.

I got the solitary bee houses outside the other day too.

I started thinking about getting the pond/tubs set up, too.

There's plenty to keep me busy.....

Termato

Board of Directors
I don't know how you have time for the fish, that, and life!? What a list.

Have you ever grown food out of your tanks? I am thinking about starting avocado.

mchambers

Former CCA member
We are thinking of putting a bigger pond in our backyard this year. My wife wants to use a preformed pond, so I think we'll have to make some road trips to some of the pond and gardening centers to see what the options are.

lkelly

Members

Have you ever grown food out of your tanks? I am thinking about starting avocado.

After watching Jeff Cardwell's talk about collecting (and eating) in the Amazon, I think the DIY Goddess may indeed grow food out of her tanks.

12383511_f520.jpg

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Nice list.
Have you thought about solar powered path lights....not the regular ones but the ones with the larger panel that runs multiple lights. Maybe as queen of DIY you can run all the landscape lights......

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Termato

Board of Directors
After watching Jeff Cardwell's talk about collecting (and eating) in the Amazon, I think the DIY Goddess may indeed grow food out of her tanks.

12383511_f520.jpg

Unfortunately, I missed that talk. I was setting up for the AB competition. i really wanted to hear about it, too.

skanda

Members
Great plan.... I like the idea of planting natives to attract the local birds, and butterflies. I am rung a few compost bins myself. Do you know where I could purchase native plant seeds Christine?

chriscoli

Administrator

I've thought about it but most food needs 1.) more light than is in my fishroom 2.) more space than is in my fishroom and 3.) I haven't researched the impacts of how the chemicals we use in our tanks accumulate in food crops.

chriscoli

Administrator
Nice list.
Have you thought about solar powered path lights....not the regular ones but the ones with the larger panel that runs multiple lights. Maybe as queen of DIY you can run all the landscape lights......

I haven't ruled them out, but I'm not impressed by the batteries used in many of the models. They tend to die very quickly. I think I will integrate them into the landscape here and there, though.

Termato

Board of Directors
I've thought about it but most food needs 1.) more light than is in my fishroom 2.) more space than is in my fishroom and 3.) I haven't researched the impacts of how the chemicals we use in our tanks accumulate in food crops.

I may have to try this, as I have room over my tanks and plenty of light :) but no backyard hahah

I did find this which is very interesting. An old patent about a fish farm adjacent to a hydroponic greenhouse. It has some really good information: https://www.google.com/patents/US5046451

I haven't been able to find any sources of non-commercial examples but I'll keep looking and post anything good I find :) I've been finding a lot of abstracts but not the entire studies.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I haven't ruled them out, but I'm not impressed by the batteries used in many of the models. They tend to die very quickly. I think I will integrate them into the landscape here and there, though.

I suggest one panel, say about the size of a bath mat. A car battery or two to store the energy... Rig it up so there is enough power for a shed and landscape..... Lol it sounds so simple,

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Im real excited thats spring is coming.
I built a little seed starting closet and the plants are starting to get huge. i think i started a bit too early.
Tomorrow I'm planning on building a few more raised beds and tinkering with the aquaponics getting it ready for my 25 growing tilapia.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I spent most of today working on one of the three gardens around the house.

~My wife wants a walk up to the front door (that we don't use) done this summer.

~ I want to plant fruit trees as my kids eat fruit as soon as it's unpacked from the grocery store.

~ I'd like to clear some undergrowth along the back but I'm being trumped as she feels it'll attract our 3yr old to the creek's edge. I may have to put that off.

~I just found a 22" tub on clearance for $3!!!! So that's my new outdoor aquarium.

I feel like the list keeps growing. :(

Leffler817

CCA Members
Anyone planting any fruit trees?

Since my two kids eat fruit faster than we are able to unpack it, I want to plant an orchard! I have the space to overdo it but I found a cool deal at Burgess Seed and Plant co. Three trees for $65. One tree has 5 different types of apples, 5 pears, and a "fruit cocktail" tree with plums, peaches, nectarine, and apricots. They are self pollinating and each tree only grows to 10 feet tall.