• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Glass Fish Bowl Pre-Orders

Termato

Board of Directors
Hi all,

Tomorrow I will be at Glen Echo Glassworks again making some fish bowls, etc.

I have one pre-order for a wavy glass fish bowl from Phil. I don't know his forum name but I received a $70 downpayment for it. I'll be making your bowl tomorrow, Phil! (P.S. it's not iamzrad)

Also, if anyone else would like to commission a piece then please let me know. The pricing will depend on the size, shape and color. Once I go above 2.5G it gets harder to make so that's why you see the price inflation.

1G and up Glass Bowls - $50 and up
2G and up Glass Bowls - $75 and up
3G and up Glass Bowls - $120 and up
4G and up Glass Bowls - $160 and up
Add Built in Filter - $20 and up
Fully Planted and/or Shrimp - Dependent on species (ask for info)

Built in heater option will come later on, but I first need to make a prototype (Thanks Jen and David for this idea). Here is a picture of the won that was at the Big Fish Deal:
2016-03-07.jpg

jstlstn

Members
Hi Victor, I am the Phill from the BFD. Your bowls are great and they hopefully will get my wife involved more. It will make it so much easier to turn the garage into a fish room. I should be at the next CCA meeting if the bowl is ready then i can finish paying and pick it up. Just my two cents but his bowls are awsome and really worth the price. If you didn't make it to the BFD the pictures do not do them justice.

Termato

Board of Directors
Hi Victor, I am the Phill from the BFD. Your bowls are great and they hopefully will get my wife involved more. It will make it so much easier to turn the garage into a fish room. I should be at the next CCA meeting if the bowl is ready then i can finish paying and pick it up. Just my two cents but his bowls are awsome and really worth the price. If you didn't make it to the BFD the pictures do not do them justice.

Thank you so much Phil!

The way I've been setting up these shrimp bowls makes it so I have to so little maintenance if it's planted. I top the bowl off, feed it 3 times a month (if even at all), and trim the plants if they get too long (three to four times a year). It's great for someone starting out or on the move.

You're right, those pictures just don't do justice. I haven't been able to take great photos of these bowls yet but I've gotten some really nice footage of one on youtube.

Hand Blown Glass Betta Bowl <--- This is the 1.5 with an orange wrap. It's on the smaller side of what I've been making.

Termato

Board of Directors
What size is the one in the picture? If its the 1g, I could afford one, they look awsome... I might try some shrimp in there ...

The one in the image with plants is a 2.5G.

The one in the image that is orange on the left (which is also in the video) is a 1.6G bowl.

Gotta love how small shrimp are. I have been thinking about adding in a dwarf crayfish with them but I'm worried they'll eat them. In Rachel's book it says they are compatible. I'll need to talk to her some more.

FishEggs

After watching the group I just got at the BFD I would not put a dwarf crayfish in such tight quarters with the shrimp.

okay screw it i really want the 2.5 lol. The way you planted it looks frickin awesome i wanna try something like that. I wonder what might work as a good top to keep my cat out of it? I was thinking a huge piece if cork with a hole in the middle with a straw or airline. I would get a bunch of wine bottle corks and glue then together and cut out a piece i desire? Have you tried a top yet on any of the bowls. ..... darn cat..... i think he murdered my gourami the other day that... bast.... tard....

Termato

Board of Directors
okay screw it i really want the 2.5 lol. The way you planted it looks frickin awesome i wanna try something like that. I wonder what might work as a good top to keep my cat out of it? I was thinking a huge piece if cork with a hole in the middle with a straw or airline. I would get a bunch of wine bottle corks and glue then together and cut out a piece i desire? Have you tried a top yet on any of the bowls. ..... darn cat..... i think he murdered my gourami the other day that... bast.... tard....

Whaaaaat! That cat!!

I've done something like this: Either glass, acrylic, or any king of top really. You could cut one out of hard plastic, even. Put a few holes. I would not super glue anything to this glass as the glass we use does not take on heat gradients well. Something like super glue would be better. cut a top off/air hole? Maybe put a plant over it?

Huge piece of cork would work great, too!

Ok, i'm off to the studio!

if you give me a diameter i can cut a piece of wood out on the band saw.

Niceee, you have a band saw thats rad. I don't even have a jig saw. I will deff let u know when i get the bowl, and take some measurements. aAlso wondering how I could cut a bevel into the wood to taper it like a plug? Maby i could use the mini table router..... or lots and lots of sanding lol.

I tilt the table about 15-20 degrees when i cut the circle out.
nice that cool that you can adjust that table. I might have a nice piece of red oak. I will try and remember to bring it to the meeting so i can give it to u to cut out of. That way i can stain it n make it look authenitco

Termato

Board of Directors
nice that cool that you can adjust that table. I might have a nice piece of red oak. I will try and remember to bring it to the meeting so i can give it to u to cut out of. That way i can stain it n make it look authenitco

That's a great idea! You'd probably have to treat the wood, right? Or do you think it'd be fine untreated?

I got one fish bowl out already. This new glass is we have amazing. Taking a bit to get used to it but I think i'll be making a lot better work with it now.

2016-03-12.jpg

FishEggs

Most wood would probably be fine untreated. I would probably just do a tung oil finish on it to bring out the beauty of the grain. The important part is to get pure tung oil with out the harsh dryers/chemical additives.
Would also be cool to leave it untreated out in the sun for a while and have the sun bleached driftwood look on top of the bowl instead of drift wood in the bowl.

Termato

Board of Directors
Most wood would probably be fine untreated. I would probably just do a tung oil finish on it to bring out the beauty of the grain. The important part is to get pure tung oil with out the harsh dryers/chemical additives.
Would also be cool to leave it untreated out in the sun for a while and have the sun bleached driftwood look on top of the bowl instead of drift wood in the bowl.

That's a great idea! These bowls are great near windows to let the plants grow. The perfect idea :)

Becca

Members
I always thought my containers would look good with glass garden cloches for lids, but I can't ever find them in the right size.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Termato

Board of Directors
Today was a tough day at the studio. This new glass we got in is very different. It's SO much better but there is a learning curve. I ended up breaking about 3 of the 5 pieces I made. I only got 2 into the annealer to get out tomorrow. I'll be able to make Phil and Mason's pieces tomorrow or next weekend so no worries. With the new glass, I put two trials per piece type until I moved on otherwise I wouldn't get to experiment as much with how this new stuff moves. It's a lot stickier and it stay hotter longer. It's much softer. I think it's better glass and I'll be able to make bigger and lighter bowls with it.

This was the only nice one that made it out today though. It's a big one because I was fed up with breaking smaller pieces. I had to get something nice out. We'll see how big once it's cold. (I was so exhausted by the time they took this picture):
2016-03-12.jpg