• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

glass drilling question

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Okay, I am getting ready to drill some tanks.

I bought the high grade diamond drill bit and a rubber base ring to go with it from Jehmco.
By reading the paper that came with it, I know that I should use some plywood and clamps on the tanks to give them support while drilling. I need to buy and cut that yet.

What else can you tell me?
I bought a couple of 10 gallon tanks to practice with.

verbal

CCA Members
Michael Barber showed me a great trick where you drill the tank from the inside. That way you don't really have to mess with the ring because the rim of the tank keeps the water in the tank.

Smaller tanks are the most challenging since they have the thinnest glass.

The drill is actually grinding the glass vs. drilling so you want to make sure you just keep it in place vs. applying pressure.

FishEggs

one trick i've seen but have not tried is to have a piece of plywood with the same size hole drilled through it to use as a guide to keep the bit from moving around when first starting to drill.

chriscoli

Administrator
Bigger tanks are waaaaay easier to drill (goes through the glass like butter), small tanks are hard, but not impossible. 10s are the hardest, IMO.

Lift the drill bit out and flush the cut frequently. REALLY frequently.
If you hear screeching start while drilling....let up the pressure. If it's been a while since you rinsed the cut, it's time. I opted not to go with the well, but to drill outside where I can just let the hose flood the cut and wash the grit away. I think If I need to do some more this winter, I'll set up a big tub inside that I can set the tank into and drill that way so I can still flood the cut with a trickle from a hose.

Are you using a drill press or a hand-held drill? There are some ideas out on the internet for some really good-looking DIY templates to use to help support the bit if you're using a hand-held drill.

So far, the only tank I've cracked while drilling is the one where I dropped one of the 2x4 scraps I was going to use for the brace during setup. oops.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Yeah, I will be hand drilling.
If I had all the tanks and the fishroom torn down, then I would rent that tool from Jehmco.
Still not sure exactly when, or if, I am doing my remodel but at this point it will probably be after the holidays. There are still way too many things up in the air.

blkmjk

Members
I am really looking to do the same thing myself on my sump. I need to drill 2) 1-1/2" bulkhead fitting holes for a catch all overflow on my sump.

mab

Members
It is really easy. I've done better than forty tanks from 5gs up to 75s. I could do a quick tutorial at the next meeting I can attend (Jan 9, 2016) if that is something CCA is interested in having!! Someone will need to bring a tank needing drilled!! I'd need to know the hole size so I have the right size drill bit.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Michael - Are you going to be in town for the February meeting? We have that meeting scheduled for BAP and other members' talks, and this would be a great demo?

Spine

Members
Go to home depot and ask for some scraps of glass to practice on(my store didn't charge me anything). The trick is don't push down to hard, push down just hard enough for the drill to just touch the glass it takes 3-4 min a hole on a ten gallon. I do mine outside an just let the hose run over the tank at a slow rate. I like to use a block of wood on the opposite side of the glass with a 2x4 cut to hold it in place this leave both hands free to make sure the drill stays level. I like the suggestion of using a precut guide, this should help because it's really important to keep the bit level. Make sure your drill is grounded due to the fact you are using water.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
easy

Once you do a few it is easy. Dont force the drill let it cut itself. make sure
you back up the hole your drilling with wood so you don't break through.
if your drilling on the short side of the tanks its very easy from the inside.
I'm willing to help you get started drilling the tanks. Just let me know.

Mike sure makes that look easy.

Jmty

Members
but fish poop still at the bottom of tank, yeah i know you change the water often but poop still there or not ?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Once you do a few it is easy. Dont force the drill let it cut itself. make sure
you back up the hole your drilling with wood so you don't break through.
if your drilling on the short side of the tanks its very easy from the inside.
I'm willing to help you get started drilling the tanks. Just let me know.

Thanks. I might be calling if I have problems.