• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Microfex/Dero Worms

mchambers

Former CCA member
Anyone ever tried keeping these as live fish food? I've seen a few mentions that make them sound promising.

JLW

CCA Members
I have. They're slow to get up to a critical mass. They're a great food though. Kind of mini blackworms that live in water

mchambers

Former CCA member
Cool! Do you know where would one get some? I don't see any at aquabid or ebay. Maybe someone lists them occasionally and I just have to be patient.

JLW

CCA Members
Dero worms are a very small type of aquatic worm sold as "Microfex" worms. Dero is apparently a genus that they belong to (or did). They're tiny. They're very slow to get going, as I mentioned, and the only way I've been successful is to polyculture them with Daphnia. You drop in algae wafers or some such, and the worms eat that, produce waste, which in turn feeds bacteria and the Daphnia. They're fully aquatic, with gills. They're covered in cilia, and the cilia look like little hooks -- I'm not sure if the fish are bothered by that or not.

They appear sporadically on Aquabid. Not often though. Because they're hard to and slow to culture, I don't think they're very popular.