• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Malawi filtration question

chris_todd

Members
So if a 65g Lake Malawi tank had only pool filter sand, would there really be any need for mechanical filtration? I ask because our 65g Malawi tank currently has an AC 110 and an XP2 (the AC110 only doesn't use any mechanical media, only ceramics for bio, though the XP2 has sponges and polishing pads), but the AC110 makes noise whenever the water level drops even an inch, and the noise has become an issue.

So I'm considering getting the Eheim 2227 wet/dry, which only provides biological filtration. Given that there are no plants, and I can vacuum any plucky poop (my 12" pleco), is there really any need for mechanical filtration? (I am guessing having a sponge pre-filter over the Eheim intake might be helpful).

While I've seen Tony's recent posts on his admirable DIY wet/dry on his 180, I'm not confident I can replicate his success in a fool-proof (read: it better not leak, or you're sleeping with the fishies, bub) manner. :) Plus, my tank has no overflows, so I'd have to construct DIY overflows, too.

Any and all suggestions for how to reliably (and most importantly, quietly) provide biological filtration for an overstocked 65g Malawi tank are appreciated.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I personally use AC110's for mechanical filtration and a canister filter for biological/chemical filtration. I heard that canister filters provide poor mechanical filtration, so I put 2 sponges in each AC110, and put bio rings/media in the canister filter.