• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Can you feed fish DOG food?

I've heard some people say they feed their larger carnivorous fish (oscars, pacu, peacock bass) dog food. Is that possible? What are the cons to doing that? Can anyone validate?

Thai

Members
fish are pescivores, while dogs are canivore/omnivores fish cant properly break down the enzymes found in lamb/chicken/beef

and dog food is really oily....dont think you want a nasty film on the surface of your tank

longstocking

Members
yes... big fish.

Did you know that is what people first fed their fish back in the "old days"... I wasn't there, an old timer told me.

Some people feed puppy chow.....

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
I would feed my Red Devils Tender Vittles Cat Food and they loved it. It got them nice and fat, but the tank would get dirty.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I'm with Anubais that large amounts of animal protein are not good. Maybe it wont hurt them but they wont process it and it becomes waste.

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I knew some folks back in Arkansas that had small catfish ponds and they fed the catfish the cheapest dog food they could find. When you threw it in there, the water was just one big boil!!! That said tho, I wouldn't feed my aquarium fish dog food, but then again I'm not keeping any real monsters either.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I would feed my Red Devils Tender Vittles Cat Food and they loved it. It got them nice and fat, but the tank would get dirty.

Wish they still made Tender Vittles for sale in the US.
Last I checked they were still sold in Canada. My cats loved it.

Anyway, personally I would never feed dog food to fish. Just me.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I've heard some people say they feed their larger carnivorous fish (oscars, pacu, peacock bass) dog food. Is that possible? What are the cons to doing that? Can anyone validate?
It sounded like a good idea to me but the barking kept my wife awake -- so you know how that goes.:lol::lol::lol:

George

DonkeyFish

Members
I figured out what to do with all those pesky livebearers....

(to anyone about to riot this cat isn't smart enough to even notice the fish--apparently the water tastes much better from the tanks :rolleyes: )

DSC_0282sm.jpg

DSC_0288sm.JPG

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I used to catch my cats drinking from the tanks all the time. I would also come home and see skid marks down the front of the 90.

My one cat will not clean up any NLS that hits the floor but if I am using Tetra flakes, they never stay on the floor for long. She loves them.

longstocking

Members
lol my cat does the same thing.

she LOVES golden pearls..... she will tear up a plastic container to get to them :lol:

The only fish my cat likes are catfish... go figure. She watches them for hours.

One cool thing she does... Sometimes I just go lay down and we have Bill's tropheus tank in the bedroom. She will come and watch the fish with me. So cute !!

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I figured out what to do with all those pesky livebearers....

(to anyone about to riot this cat isn't smart enough to even notice the fish--apparently the water tastes much better from the tanks :rolleyes: )

"i was just drinking and he swam in my mouth ...HONEST!"