• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

FS: Rare 1960's MetalFrame 10 gallon slate bottom

fish

Banned
I got this tank from a yard sale the other day.

I was told it does NOT hold water. (Most of these old tanks don't because they were not made with silicone.)

Other then that it is in great condition.

REASON I AM SELLING;
When I was researching the tank I saw people online that were "collecting" these tanks and they were going for a really high price. I mean it is pretty much THE first widely manufactured aquarium ever. I guess it brings nostalgia to older fish keepers as well.

If anyone wants to make an offer feel free! Worst i could do is say no...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I have a metal frame tank it it holds water fine. There is defenitely some kind of silicone there. Anyway, glws

fish

Banned
I have a metal frame tank it it holds water fine. There is defenitely some kind of silicone there. Anyway, glws

Yours is defiantly different. The one i have has sticky stuff and i read that when the seam started to leak people would fill tank with hot water. Mine is i believe metaframe brand..

fish

Banned
I just talked to a guy. Said that they used to be rare but nowadays they show up pretty often. I guess i will just hang onto it. Its kinda like a peice of aquarium history. Mine is a 100% legit metaframe brand. Festaedan, if yours has silicone it is either been resealed or is one of the many "kockoff" metal frame. Apparently the metaframe company was the big manufacturers but then there were "knockoff companies. And resealing with silicone does not usually work cause it does not stick well to the slate from my research.

Becca

Members
Metaframes can be resealed with silicon. The most I've ever seen a 10 gallon metaframe listed for was $20 and the guy is STILL listing it on CL.

If you bought it for $3, you should just keep it and try to reseal it, or sell it to someone on ebay, but don't try to make big profits off of your friends here.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I have a 55 gallon metaframe I have been using since the 80s. I like the metal frame. I have sealed it with silicon glue to make it hold water but for the most part you do not see anything but the old tar based cement. It has a slate bottom. I also have a couple 2 gallon metaframe tanks that I use to use for bowl shows. People woud bring in their fish to club meetings in bowls or small aquariums to compete for prizes. The small aquariums were better than using bowls for most fish. Bowl shows were great. You got to see some great fish that you might not see otherwise.

verbal

CCA Members
People woud bring in their fish to club meetings in bowls or small aquariums to compete for prizes. The small aquariums were better than using bowls for most fish. Bowl shows were great. You got to see some great fish that you might not see otherwise.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was one in the area this summer? :)

daninmd

Members
Where did gouging come in? I didn't see the OP suggest a price.

hey, I put a smiley face at the end so people cant get mad:D

but the OP said they are super rare and expensive and previously said he got it for $3...so yeah.

not the only one that thought that. no biggie