• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sick Ruby Red

Kelvin

Members
Hello all!! Need some help with a sick fish. She has not been eating and he stomach is slightly suken. She tracks the food, takes the food in her mouth and then spits it out. She is isolated in a separate tank. Based on my research I think she has an internal parasite. Any suggestions on treatment. Thanks in advance.

Kelvin

20140219_211548.jpg

Localzoo

Board of Directors
This could be tricky but feeding food might not wrk but treating the water might. I've had good luck with epsom salt soaked food but depends on if its a parasite or a blockage. Any more details?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Id say shes holding, tumbling the eggs may appear as coughing and they always track the food when holding. I think its just instinct.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I wouldn't treat until you look at all possibilites. Its a girl, was she in with a male? Parasites usually have lots of symptoms like heavy breathing and gasping at the surface. She would also be very sluggish not moving around much or hiding.

Kelvin

Members
She was in a tank with a male. She is active but her breathing seems more labored than the other Ruby Reds.

Is she doing a pretty good job at keeping her mouth shut? When females tumble eggs it can look like heavy breathing or coughing but they only open their mouth a little bit. I'd try to look closely at her mouth. You could also youtube a video to compare. There are millions type in ruby red holding and 300,000 videos will pop up

I can't say for sure because it can be any number of things. When I treat for parasites I use a few things. First metronidazole and praziquantel are my favorited tetra parasite guard has them both but I prefer feeding it if they are eating so I use seachem metronidazole mixed with food or prazipro. Results vary some recover some its to late. Internal parasites usually have a pretty strong hold by the time they are noticed. I'm not convinced she has them any other odd behavior? Is she active?