• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need some Advice.

FishEggs

I just recently started keeping some African Cichlids. I have been noticing them flashing now and then on the sand and rocks so i've been monitoring them for spots of ich. It's been several weeks now and i haven't seen any. Is this a normal behavior of aggression or some other parasite they might have that i cant see?
I was thinking of treating the tank with salt but how much do i use and how slow do i add it? There is also a common pleco in the tank with them. How much salt can she tolerate?

thedavidzoo

Members
Cichlids will flash every now and then, rub on the sand, etc., as "display" or for whatever reason. I catch mine occasionally. It is not necessarily a sign of disease. Just keep an eye out.

chriscoli

Administrator
+1. This is why it's good to spend time with your tank and get to know their normal behavior. Of course it's hard to know what's normal in the beginning....

Spine

Members
Oops,guess I better shave now. Pleco's seem to handle salt okay but some catfish species are very sensitive, If I need to use salt I start with 1tablespoon per 5gallons and gradually increase the dosage as needed. Don't forget to do water changes to get rid of the salt when you're done

FishEggs

It kind of seemed more like a posturing thing to me. Not sure why.
What is the max amount of salt I should not go over if I do end up with ich?
Can you use reef salt for treatment or does that mess with the water too much?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Reef salt is probably OK but expensive.

You can buy 40 pounds of rock or pelleted salt at Lowe's for about $10 (sold for home water softening units). I would recommend starting with 1 teaspoon per gallon. That level can remain in the tank without needing to remove it, unless you want. Max level if you need to actually get it higher is 3 teaspoons per gallon. When actually treating for ich or velvet you start with 1 teaspoon, then add a teaspoon every 24 hours until you get to 3 teaspoons per gallon. You also raise the temperature to 80 or maybe a bit higher. But since ich cycts can live through this high salt with out a problem and then hatch out, you need to maintain these conditions for about two weeks to be sure to get rid of ich.

However what you describe is normal. Fish itch just like other animals and scratch. I would not treat unless with only one teaspoon per gallon. Higher salt promotes a fish's slime coat which is their defense against stuff that might attack them.

One other thing. When you add salt, always dissolve it first. If you throw in a lot of salt crystals or pellets, they go to the bottom and dissolve. Around this solid is a very high concentration of salt dissolved in the water, high enough to kill fish, particularly catfish and some other fish if they do not get out of it immediately. If you have a HOB filter you can add the solid salt directly to it. Or use some tank water to dissolve the salt and add the solution to the tank.

FishEggs

Thanks all.
I just happen to have some reef salt from an old project sitting around so thought i might use it. I know it's got other minerals in it for corals but didnt know if it was anything to be concerned with.