• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mass die off

Becca

Members
In the 150. Noticed apparent bite marks on 2 fish Sunday that were not surprising because 2 cupidos were courting.

Jeremy got home to find the picked on cupido dead and went for a run. Came back 40 minutes later to the following dead:
2 of the 3 flower shrimp
1 of 5 glass cats
1 of 3 flying foxes
The giant Blue Phantom pleco I got him for his birthday

Ammonia is 0ppm, pH 6.6

The pleco appears to have patches of damaged skin, but the other recent deaths do not.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
Also, when you showed me the bite marks, I had to wonder if it was a skin ulcer of some sort but I didn't get a good look. You still think it's a bite?

Becca

Members
The marks were the same size and shape on each fish and hadn't been there the day before, so I thought bites. Now I'm not so sure.

I gave melafix and pimafix when I saw the marks, just in case. Water chemistry seems fine and I can't figure how a contaminant would've been introduced.

Becca

Members
Jeremy saw the male ancistrus and says he now has a huge hole in his face.

Most folks here know a lot more than I do, but do either of the two courting cupidos have any sign of skin trauma? Did all dead fish show signs of trauma? Aside from ancistrus, is anything else showing trauma? If you suspect the courting cupidos, can you move them to another tank?

Becca

Members
One was the first to die, but the others seem ok.

Becca

Members
I guess the 2 cupidos could go in the stock tank. Just saw the male pleco and his bite mark doesn't look worse to me, it actually looks better. Redder, but no white and clear margins.

I wonder if it could be oxygen related, but by the time I got home he was mid water change and there was lots of agiration.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Check the nitrites. Regardless, I'd do a large water change and add night-out 2.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Here's info on Nite-Out II....I don't know what the diff is between that and regular Nite-Out.

https://www.microbelift.com/products/home-aquarium/bacterial-products/nite-out-ii/

A friend suggested it to me a while back. I've used it when I had a nitrite spike and on new tanks. I felt it indirectly saved many fish.

Regardless, when in doubt, do a large water change. Also make sure the heater and filters are running properly.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
Already on top of that. Doing 95% and all filters and heaters seem to be running.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Nitrates shouldn't be 0 (unless you just did a 95% water change).

My guess is some kind of bacterial outbreak if there are red sores and the like.

Matt

Nitrates are 0ppm

Becca

Members
Nitrates shouldn't be 0 (unless you just did a 95% water change).

My guess is some kind of bacterial outbreak if there are red sores and the like.

Matt

They were 0. I tested water taken from the rank before the water change. It's heavily planted.