• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mated Pair of Koi Angelfish, not proven

Curly625

Members
All - I inherited two fishtanks with the house I'm currently in and not knowing the first thing about the species, I have since discovered I don't have the stomach for the territorial fighting. I've consequently lost three fish to infighting (two angels and a rainbow shark) and have two more that are now in a sick tank. The two responsible for the ones in the sick tank are a mated pair that have laid eggs in the tank at least 3 times that I know of. I've seen the eggs in the evening, but in the morning they're all gone. Either the parents are eating them or it's the ~9" common pleco scouring the tank clean each night? I can provide pics - can't attest to quality, haven't tried to photograph them before - but they are very pretty, large Koi Angelfish. I am not asking for anything other than a good home for them, anyone interested?

Thank you!

v/r,
Stacey

chriscoli

Administrator
I think you're right to suspect the pleco although I've seen Angel parents eat their eggs plenty of times, too.

Greengirl

Members
I'd be interested in giving your angelfish a good home. I've been looking for new breeding stock for my own red kois, as you can see by my avatar picture. When and where can I get them?

Curly625

Members
That's great, but do you want pics first? Mine look different from yours...they look smaller and delicate (VERY beautiful btw). Mine are seem larger and thicker? (Older maybe from what I've read?)

I did just google map Pasadena to Bethesda and it's about an hour. Can you meet me in Laurel if you decide to take them? Or if you want to come to my house to see them first in person, that's fine too!

v/r,
Stacey

clearsky5

CCA Members
Stacey....
The pleco may not be actually eating their eggs, but if it is moving around a lot.... which by the way plecos do like to scope out their tanks in the evening.... it may be stressing out the parent angels where they are actually eating their eggs. I have had angels do very much the same thing with corys in their tank. It was a very tall tank and I thought the space difference between the bottom dwellers (corys) wouldn't interfere with the angels broods, but I actually saw the parents either thinking they were moving the eggs or cleaning but would actually eat them themselves....
since moving them to their own tank, (with no other fish in it) they have expertly looked after their eggs with no problems..
Not knowing what kind of pleco you have, likely it isn't a carnivore, and wouldn't normally eat the eggs,,, but..... as Christine mentioned, there are plenty of plecos that wouldn't mind an omlette!

best thing to do is move the pleco out and see what happens....

good luck

david

clearsky5

CCA Members
PS
Alex:
I am currently breeding another lot of really really really red kois....
if you don't get something before these are ready, I will keep you posted...

BY THE WAY......

this is different bloodlines from the other ones you got from me a while back....

Curly625

Members
Christine - Thank you for the info! I'm not sure since it's happening at night, but that is when the pleco is active.

David - I really had no place else to put Max (common pleco, so omnivore right? named by my 8 yr old) and didn't want to breed the Angels so I am o.k. with whomever is eating the eggs. I do agree they are very stressed when those eggs are present though! I can't wait to see pics of yours....

v/r,
Stacey

clearsky5

CCA Members
Stacey:
most likely an omnivore or possibly herbivore...
If you are not into breeding them, then not a problem, but I will tell you that even though they are not keeping their broods, they will still have a tendancy to be aggressive..

how big is the pleco?????

Curly625

Members
Greengirl/Alexandra - I tried to answer you but I'm not sure where it went?

It would be great if you could take them, do you want pics first? My pair doesn't look like yours in the avatar (beautiful, btw) they seem larger and thicker (older maybe, from what I've read?).

I also google mapped Bethesda to Pasadena and it's about an hour. We could meet in Laurel maybe or you could come to the house if you'd like to see them first?

Let me know.

v/r,
Stacey

Greengirl

Members
Greengirl/Alexandra - I tried to answer you but I'm not sure where it went?

It would be great if you could take them, do you want pics first? My pair doesn't look like yours in the avatar (beautiful, btw) they seem larger and thicker (older maybe, from what I've read?).

I also google mapped Bethesda to Pasadena and it's about an hour. We could meet in Laurel maybe or you could come to the house if you'd like to see them first?

Let me know.

v/r,
Stacey

Hi Stacey,

I'd be happy to meet in the middle. Will you post pictures on this forum? I would love to see them.

Curly625

Members
David - Max is an L083/L165 Pterygoplichthys Gibbiceps, ~9" (depending on how they measure, maybe more?). He's an omnivore. The pair is definitely agressive, whether the eggs are present or not, they're battering the other Angels.

GreenGirl - I'll try to post pics tonight, or if that fails, maybe send them to you directly. We can 'talk' after that!

Thank you!

v/r,
Stacey

Curly625

Members
GreenGirl - here's one, I can do more if you like...

Stacey

AngelfishPair_zps096c0ed8.jpg

Curly625

Members
The Pair were taken to their new homes this evening. Thanks so much for meeting me Alexandra! Good luck with them!

v/r,
Stacey