• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Permantly Attaching Floating Fake Plants

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have found that a lot of my fish seem to enjoy the cover of floating plants (fake in my case). This usually comes about because they are not fond of me actually "planting" them in substrate. I don't mind the look of the floating plants, but I would like for them to be more orderly instead of just looking like dug up plants floating around the tank.

Anyone have any good ideas for somehow attaching the plants at the top of the tank? I have tried searching a few forums with not much luck.

mscichlid

Founder
Perhaps lowering the water and using a little dab of aquarium silicone to the glass or just under the lip. You'll have to leave the water low for a few days until the silicone drys and becomes safe. Use a clamp or something to wedge the plants to keep them in place. You'll have to be careful about getting the silicone in the water.

Or you could use those clips that come with tank dividers to keep the plants in place, But they sort of keep the lid from closing tightly.

Just a thought.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Just get some water sprite...

...it grows so fast I'd be surprised if anyone in you tank could eat it all. There's also those 'red root floaters' though mine are all green. I throw out scads of both every week. Will bring a bunch of both to the next meeting if you want.

toddnbecka

Members
Want some duckweed? If you have any sort of light on the tank it will grow, only hangup is the tendency to clog filter intakes. I use sponge prefilters to get around that issue. Cichlids and silver dollars do tend to eat it though...

chris_todd

Members
If you have driftwood or rocks, you can just tie it to that with fishing line.

And I'm with Sam on duckweed, the stuff is impossible to get rid of once it's in your fishroom. Water sprite is better.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
On the planted 20 I have in the kitchen, I got a drill and drilled a hole into the top of a cool piece of driftwood. Inserted a stainless-steel eye hook and attached it to nylon cord. I then threaded the cord out the top back of the tank, under the plastic strip on the back of the glass lid and tied it off to the bottom of the stand. It looks like a hanging root... pretty cool imo.

You could do the same with plastic plants, without all the effort. It would be pretty easy to simply wedge the plastic base in between the back rim and the plastic cover piece. You could even get fancy and remove the base to one bunch of plants and rubberband it to another. Then wedge both plants under cover strip to hand down.

Does that make any sense at all?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Not any more than using plastic plants...

...just teasing.:D The hanging root sounds pretty cool.

So whom else has tanks in the kitchen? I have 2 stacked 29's on a rack where one enters and a 40B and a 5 atop a useless built-in storage bench between the windows. Aesthetically it actually fits in pretty well, especially if you happen to be a water sign or have like inclinations.

What a righteous disease, this, this keeping of fishy thingys. (Vote if you'd like to see this rendered as verse.)

Some would deem wayward cold-blooded affections
An asocial lapse these aquatic obsessions
But for all those so smitten, there's no indiscretion
In the joy of a fishroom and its glorious erection.

chris_todd

Members
So whom else has tanks in the kitchen? I have 2 stacked 29's on a rack where one enters and a 40B and a 5 atop a useless built-in storage bench between the windows. Aesthetically it actually fits in pretty well, especially if you happen to be a water sign or have like inclinations.

Not to hijack the original thread, but we have a 65g Mbuna tank and a 20 high community tank in the kitchen. And if I can convince the wife unit, I may replace the 20 high with that Osaka 155... :)

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Thanks for the ideas. I'll also hit up Danger to see what he did.

Sam - I'd be up for some watersprite if all I need is a light on the tank, but I have an absolute black thumb when it comes to aquatic plants. I have tried several times with no success.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
You'll do better than fine...

...planted or floating, had to keep it down although I notice it prefers lower pH. Have some in a 40B at about 7.8 and it 'struggles' whereas in anything at 7.0 or lower it's a weed. Light conditions really create a lot of variance in the morphology, for instance, low light tends to create huge broad leaves and if it's floating as well a single plant can get bigger than a turkey platter with a distinctively different leaf structure on stems that grow up out of the water. Planted in high light it can be equally bushy. May turn you into an aquascaper after all...

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Well that's probably less painful than replacing the "wife unit"...

Not to hijack the original thread, but we have a 65g Mbuna tank and a 20 high community tank in the kitchen. And if I can convince the wife unit, I may replace the 20 high with that Osaka 155... :)

...but really, "wife unit"?! No wonder there's domestic issues revolving around tanks - surely you must mean "She whom is most adored" or "Her Esteemed Loveliness". :D

Not that I have any idea - I'm still working up to getting a cat.