• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

I May Be Crazy, I want to Double Stack Two Large Tanks!!!

ricksnipe

Members
Hey guys! I'm in the process of looking for a 240 tall, and I currently have a 180 that I don't want to get rid of. The only way I can keep both is buy stacking them. I'm a dreaming to hard or do you think that can actually do it? I built my stand for my 180 using 4x4s, 2x4s, and 3/4 plywood. I plan on beefing it up with 6x6s, 2x6s, and 3/4 plywood, thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JLW

CCA Members
SHouldn't be an issue, but as JT said....
make sure the floor can handle it. :)

The problem you will run into is that a 6' tank needs a brace in the middle to keep the span from sagging. That means that there will be a big block of wood in the middle of the lower tank on front and back which takes away from the viewing.

I would suggest going to a metal fabricator and having a rectangle of 2"x3" square tube steel made. Have it powder coated in black for a nice finish. Then you can use that steel piece as the span (no center brace required). It will not sag over time and is actually smaller than the wood would be giving you better access. You can bolt this steel ring to wood uprights then on the end to hold it up. Even better support would be to dado cut the verticals so that the steel recesses partly into the wood. Be sure to account for the recess and have the steel made longer than the tank frame.

Andy

Though technically not big tanks, I designed a stand and had an iron shop weld together an angle iron stand to stack two 75 gal tanks. My design is to flip two front vertical angles outward so that the lower tank can slide in, and elevate the legs of the lower stack to one foot so that gravity drainage of the lower tank is faster. It is sturdier than commercial stands because I selected over sized angle iron. I don't see why you can't do it with bigger tanks, just make sure you place the stacked tanks on slab only. I wouldn't trust wood stand because the combined weight will be huge and likely warp it over time.

ricksnipe

Members
Yea I was thinking bout a metal stand I just have to find a place near DC who can do it and at a good price.

blkmjk

Members
I have a 210 sitting over a 125 no sagging and no center brace. It is the technique used to construct the top that prevents sagging. And my span is actually 7 feet not 6.

Drew

FishEggs

I have a 210 sitting over a 125 no sagging and no center brace. It is the technique used to construct the top that prevents sagging. And my span is actually 7 feet not 6.

Drew
can we see some pictures?

I'm planning on putting a 225 over a 75 and building a custom stand for it myself. i looked at several of the stands at H.O.T. under their big tanks and was surprised at what the construction was and that it was holding the tank. I'll be doing a plywood construction.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I had a 180 6 footer over a 265. They were both plywood so lighter than glass but I still think you could get away with 2 by 6 if you use three up top and good bracing at the ends. The 265 was also 17 inches off the floor.

If you could get Chris to do welded though it would be a whole lot nicer. He does fantastic work. He has built some beautiful stands for people.

I had a 180 6 footer over a 265. They were both plywood so lighter than glass but I still think you could get away with 2 by 6 if you use three up top and good bracing at the ends. The 265 was also 17 inches off the floor.

If you could get Chris to do welded though it would be a whole lot nicer. He does fantastic work. He has built some beautiful stands for people.
Years ago I had a 360gl acrylic tank(8'*2'*3'H) span over a O'DEll 150gl glass tank. I used cinder blocks as the bases interwoven with 2'4''s between the blocks so no wobble and used 3 runs of 2*8's(3 each lagged together) for the support span. This was all placed against the mid wall under the center main steel 'I' beam support for the house. I further supported it in the basement with 2-2*10's lagged together with 2 lolly column support for the extra beam I made.
All was painted semi-gloss black. Looked fantastic in living room. Wish I still had the old pix.

Jeff721

Members
I just picked up another 125 gallon last night. I plan on stacking it above my current 125.

Right now the plan is 2x6 construction with dado joints like this:
edit_dado_cut_20091130_1147.jpg

So basically the Ted Judy approach to a rack setup.

On the narrow end like that, wood is surprisingly strong, and provided the wood isn't bowed or warped, should distribute the weight evenly over the piece. I would actually trust 2x4's to do it, but 2x6's will give me piece of mind.

Hawkman2000

Members
Has anyone thought of using laminate beams. Like trus board.

Or laminating 4 inch strips of 3/4 inch furnature grade ply.

Ive used laminat beams in construction. Very impressive stuff. Some are rated stronger than steel.

FishEggs

I'll be using 1" thick cabinet grade plywood and gluing 2 pieces together to span the distance for my stand.