• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Son with health issues loves fish

Becca

Members
Welcome!

That's great that your son enjoys the fish and that they help him get a work out! I remember putting my son in front of my old 29 when he was fussy and he'd just calm down and, often, pass out for a nap.

I've got some Guianacara juveniles I could give you a handful of. They have neat behavior and are a cool black and white/high-contrast fish. They look similar to Bandit Acaras, but aren't. I've also got lots of plecos and would be happy to give you one or two, depending on tank size, to help keep things clean.

BroJul

Members
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. Work and kids keep me busy so apologize about the delayed response. I appreciate the offers for the tanks and free fish. I'm going to research and post pictures of fish I have. That way I can start coming up with a plan for which direction I'm going to go. I do have a 120 gallon tank that needs to be resealed. So I have a potential setup to grow. Thanks again everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BroJul

Members
I've been doing some research today and really like the lake Malawi auloncara breeds. I love the colors these fish have.

This is what I have right now:
1-venustus 1.5"
1-albino peacock 3"
1- labidochromis caeruleus 1.5"
1-metraiclima estherae 2.5"
1-mbamba 2.5"
2-plecostonus 4"

So this is what we have in the tank now. Bought from the local pet store and all were pairs at one time. Some are close to 2 years old. We've lost a few here and there but overall I take very good care of them and they're healthy.

Which retailer has the best onsite selection in the DMV? I'd like to take my kids and make a day out of it picking out fish and see if they gravitate towards anything in particular.

A few years back I had my 120 gallon bar tank going and my convicts would breeds regularly. However when I did have pairs in the 20 gallon tank I couldn't get anything to breed? Was it the size of the tank? Or was I spoiled by a breed of fish that mate easily? I know there's a ton of factors. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

A few pieces of unsoliciting advice!

Don't venustus get big and mean? The caution is to be careful in a mixed mbuna tank (which is what you basically have) that aggressive could be ugly (and upsetting to your son).

Definitely add some more labs. They are so pretty, lively, easy and not mean. They are likely to breed and I'm sure the holding and spitting of babies would be interesting to your son. Get good clean ones without bearding. They are a great fish. (they are not usually happy as a solo)

Other nice mild options are p. acei either yellow or white tailed. Both are a nice fish and you can have a small group.

Consider a small group of synodontis catfish. They are lively and pretty. multipunctatus or lucipinnis/petricola are very nice. Folks in the club will sell them much cheaper than a LFS

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
FYI, this is my 55 Mbuna tank with yellow labs, rusties, yellow tail acei, white top hara, melanochromis chipokae and red tail shark. Great color combination and now that they are maturing, some interesting chasing action. Actually have some juvie rusties and yellow labs hiding in the rocks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80PczbQmANQ