• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Gold peacock

olzkool

Members
Just picked this guy up today. He is a man made hybrid called a gold peacock. First time I seen one like this in person and he looked awesome so I snatched him up. Most of them I seen are orangish white. This dude is yellow, real yellow. Here are some crappy iphone pics from the quarantine tank. I'll take some real ones in a week when I put him in the main tank.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I got one a few months back and when I got it home it was brighter than my yellow lab. Over the last few months its lost its intensity almost has an orange tint but still yellow. It's doubled in size but doesn't look as good as it did when I got it.

Sent from my SM-S890L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

It could be greatly influenced by the bigger fish in the tank. About a year ago rastafish posted a pic of a gold peacock he bred its one of the best pure yellow peacocks I've ever seen. Forget the thread name let me look around for it.

On 9/9/2013 theres a thread titled "bored so I will share" not sure how to link to it but you should look it up.

toddnbecka

Members
Here's a couple pics of my odd male ruby red, looks exactly like his daddy did before he killed him. Just a bit of orange, mostly yellow, lighting spectrum affects the perception too:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Feeding these guys NLS will also turn them more towards red/orange. Lots of red pigment in it.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
True...but what has mostly yellow pigment in it? Aren't carotenoids orangey yellow? would tossing in marigold powder in with some flake food help? I've noticed that yellow is a hard color to bring out, its either pale or close to orange. With some exceptions of course

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
True...but what has mostly yellow pigment in it? Aren't carotenoids orangey yellow? would tossing in marigold powder in with some flake food help? I've noticed that yellow is a hard color to bring out, its either pale or close to orange. With some exceptions of course

Not sure, Will. I guess I'm just saying that with most folks using NLS, the fish will tend to turn more red/orange regardless of its genes and whether you want it to or not.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Not sure, Will. I guess I'm just saying that with most folks using NLS, the fish will tend to turn more red/orange regardless of its genes and whether you want it to or not.

Time for an experiment.... Chris ill try make some food and give it to u next time I see you. If that's ok?

toddnbecka

Members
NLS can only enhance whatever color/s are already there. Genetics determines which pigments the fish carry, if there's no red all the color-enhancing food in the world won't make it appear. Only dying or tattooing will do that.