• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hybrid Gene question

MonteSS

Members
I had a pure HRP Rio Danli male (from Matt) breed with a regular striped female Con. He was vey blue with bright red/orange fins

This vid is a VERY mated pair I kept from their offspring. They are probably three years old now. Breed like clockwork and never fight.

Parents
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGUx6NNJ3aY&list=UUF12IUaBYvTWQx2OUVd5woA

I also kept one of their sisters that is powder blue.

I finally decided to pull their fry and grow some out to see what colors they get.

Do you think some will be like them and some chance of the blue ones?

I know many dont approve hybrids but a pretty fish is a pretty fish. Anyone want some fry? LOL

Their fry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NTrB4D6VtQ&index=2&list=UUF12IUaBYvTWQx2OUVd5woA

Last edited:

rich_one

Members
Very nice looking pair, man. Wish I could help you with the gene question. Looking forward to seeing how the fry turn out!

-Rich

ErnieG

Members
Me personally I like crossing cons and I don't consider thIs cross as a hybrid, because these guys and your regular black convict has the same body shape and striping. I would love some fry if your willing to part with some, but to answer your question all your fry will have blue in the fins and some blue will be in the body as well. I have done several hrp and con crosses.

I agree with Ernie G but take a female from the fry batch and run it back to the father. Then run the mother with a male from the batch. That way you will see who gene is stronger. I know in my projects dealing with red texas,super red synspilums,and rose queen and all are fry im growing out now.... the females/mothers of the fry gene is stronger than the males.

dogofwar

CCA Members
The Rio Danli HRP has not been assigned to any of the 4 species species that Schmitter-Soto described for Amatitlania (Amatitlania coatepeque, A. kanna, A. siquia, A. nigrofasciata).

From the CRC catalog: <The Rio Danli HRP> was discovered by Rusty Wessel, there has been quite some disscusion as if this species has to be or not considered a geographical variant of Cryptoheros nigrofasciatus or a species on its own. New field evidence (Wessel, personal communication) suggest that this species inhabits together with the normal Cryptoheros nigrofasciatus and in fact for separate breeding pairs, so we are considering in this catalogue as a potentially undescribed species.

My take is that crossing HRPs with other species of cons, including from other geographical locations, is creating a mess, whether technically hybrid or otherwise. No different than crossing different species or geographical variants of Malawi peacock cichlids.

You can definitely create some interesting looking fish crossing "cons"... but they're different than what's found in nature and - unfortunately - easily confused with pure examples.

Finding real deal (known provenance) HRPs (or other kinds of "cons" with known location) is much harder than it needs to be (same peacocks and lots of other fish).

Go ahead and experiment in your fishroom with crossing cons but just don't sell them to someone who's likely to pass the mixed offspring on (either through ignorance or to make a buck) as the real thing...

Matt

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
+1 Matt.

It's a dangerous game that has potential to very effectively mess up the captive stock of a species.

Even if you have good intentions, the person who gets your fry may not.. or not care.. or not know.

Hrpxyellowcon

I don't think MonteSS is on the forum much any more. The fish is australoheros oblongum.
Thank you so much for the quick response anyone know where to get some Honduran red points that are purebreds not convict wash off the actually powder blue orange and purple hue and also some true yellow convicts

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The Wet Spot has nanoleutus on their stock list currently. Ken Davis of Southeast Exotics and Tropicals (you can find him on Facebook) had both species on one of his recent lists as well.