• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Opinions needed: Acrylic verses glass tank

londonloco

Members
I'm ordering a custom set up from a local guy for a new reef set up. I've never owned an acrylic tank, thought maybe I'd try acrylic since the cost is a little less than a star fire glass tank. I know several members have acrylic tanks, opinions please?

mscichlid

Founder
I've never had an acrylic. I imagine the bigger they get the better as it would be easier to move. You'll have to be extra careful when cleaning though.

londonloco

Members
I've read and been told the Original Mr. Clean magic eraser is what most use to to clean acrylic tanks now. Supposedly it will even "scrape" off coraline that has built up. I've actually been meaning to pick one up for my fw tanks, but keep forgetting when I'm at WallyWorld.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I'd be more concerned cleaning the interior of the tank. I've scratched glass by getting a piece of sand on my magfloat cleaner. I imagine you could do some damage to acrylic if you don't pay attention.

That said, I think I'd like my next big tank (if I ever get space to put one) to be acrylic. Much lighter than a glass tank of equivalent size.

eden2020

Members
Acrylic..

Really like acrylic tanks.. but you need to be careful as mentioned to not bang rock into the sides aquascaping. Just need to use caution. Haven't had a new one yet to worry much about the "new" scratches" but the tanks in the past and tank I have now haven't been a big problem. I am sure I have added scratches, but can't seem to understand how you get a tank as beat up as some that I have seen. Maybe they used sandpaper to clean the sides. LOL

Being that the one I have is a 180, it is a DREAM to move versus my old glass 180. I use to carry around a 60G acrylic like it was a 20L glass.

I really like them!

-marc and family..

JLW

CCA Members
I work with both acrylic and glass aquariums all day long. My advice, if you're planning on doing a reef tank especially is to not do acrylic -- go glass. Acrylic can scratch so very, very easily. While it is repairable, you don't want to constantly be doing that. :-D

A reef tank is going to have a lot of rock and coral in it that can topple and scratch the acrylic. Some of the animals you put in there may do so, as well. But, the BIG thing, the number one reason I say to do glass for a reef tank is that you WILL grow algae on the acrylic. This is not your normal "oh, look, a spot of algae, let me wipe it with my finger" type of algae, but you'll get some of the Dot Algae, Coraline Algae, etc. that you need to actually really work to remove. There are plastic safe scrapers (like the "red blade" from Kent) that work, but in a deeper tank, they're a pain in the butt, and you'll really have to be patient and take your time to remove them. I Have a 30" deep acrylic reef tank in service, and it takes me 2-3 hours to scrape it. It is probably about 24" on each side, so it is not that big. But, I have to take the time to get each little spot of algae. I have larger glass reef aquaria that take much less, because of a new invention that removes even the toughest algae on glass in seconds. It's called a razor blade. ;)

Go with glass. You'll be happier.

benz3901

Members
Nice guy to deal. I got 2 tanks made by him. One is 75gal and one is 150gal. He is very reasonable. I got total of 7 acrylic tanks in my house. I love acrylic aquarium.

londonloco

Members
Thanks for the advice all. I'm still considering the acrylic, but very leery. The original Mr. Clean magic eraser is for the inside of the glass, google it. Reefers even say it does remove coraline algae, if kept up with weekly (or bi weekly). Let it go longer and scraping will be needed, and with a busy lifestyle, I'm betting that is inevitable. I'm going rimless, the difference in price between acrylic and star fire glass is about 150$. If I go reg glass, savings is probably 300$. My glass tanks all eventually get scratched, star fire glass is softer than reg glass, scratches easier. Sigh, not sure what I'm going to end up with.

Hawkman2000

Members
I agree with josh as well. From what I've read, just the brushing of clothing on the surface of acrylic leaves microscopic scuffs on it. Over time, it really dulls the tank out. The benefit is the translucency of the acrylic. Of course, low iron/star-fire glass is supposed to be even better. I think glasscages.com has tempered low iron glass now.

londonloco

Members
I have an estimate from Glass Cages, they were about the same as Adam. About 10 years ago I ordered an enclosure from them for a Chinese Water Dragon, build was fine, but it didn't have to hold water. I've read/heard many horror stories about them. This tank is going in my den, decided not to chance it. I'm def leaning towards low iron glass, thanks all.

ezrk

Members
We bought our tanks from Great Lakes Aquariums in MI and they are pretty nice, starfire fronts, nice clean silicone, etc. Shipping is pricey, but that is true for many custom tanks...

londonloco

Members
Last night I ordered a starfire front, reg glass 3 other panels 36x24x18" tank, with 40" high stand that will be 42" long, 30" sump and 4 gallon auto top off container from Adam. I am pretty stoked! Won't be ready for pick up for 2 months tho....

STATMATT

Members
Who's this Adam guy that peeps are doing business with, where does he advertise and who else has had good experiences with him.

STATMATT.

londonloco

Members
Here is his website:

http://www.artfullyacrylic.com/#!home|mainPage

He's located in Sterling, and newly in business. Very nice, super to work with, he's putting up with my daily questions, changes and add ons for weeks now. He would rather work with acrylic, but has built glass tanks. He's on wamas, and has several builds already besides mine in the works, my tank, stand, sump and ato reservoir won't be ready until July-ish, which is fine, I'm in no rush.