• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello from KC

Are you more interested in keeping a few bigger fish or multiple smaller ones? New world cichlids are from central and south America and tend to be larger and more territorial. 1 pair of medium-sized guys or 2 pair of a smaller species generally fills a 55. Depending on the type (more for South Americans), you can also potentially add small catfish and larger tetras. The Centrals are a bit rougher and do best with only other cichlids.

Old World cichlids (primarily from the rift lakes in east Africa) are generally more ok with cramming a bunch into a tank. They do not pair, but instead form groups or harems where you can keep 3-4 species in a tank with groups of 5+ each.

Are you interested in trying to breed fish or do you just want a nice display?

That's a lot of info, thanks!!! I want fish that are about 4 or 5 inches long and that are colorful!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

You can still grow the green terror out in a 55, just eventually be prepared to either need to find him a new home or upgrade your tank. A third floor apartment can withstand a 75 gallon tank in most cases, unless its just lack of room inside the apartment. If its the colors that you are looking for than the African side of the cichlid world would probably bring you the most pop in a 55. Smaller Victorian cichlids like pundamilia nyererei or a good colony of Mbuna.

Those Victorian fish are very colorful! Thanks for the recommendations!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Vics are great, but I'd consider them a bit of a more advanced fish due to their high levels of aggression and tendency to hybridize. If you do decide to go in that direction, get one of the less aggressive species and combine then with 2 species of Lake Malawi mbuna.

They'd be perfect for a first 55 cichlid tank. Can't go wrong with them. While not all suitable for a 55 and not all compatible, check out some of the profiles on this list:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=2

Generally speaking, stick with smaller species - anything listed under 4" and combine from separate genuses. Some easier ones would be rusties (Iodotropheus sprengerie), Pseudotropheus salousi, Labidochromis caereleus, Cynotilapia afra.