• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

College Apartments/Residence Halls that allow Fish Tanks

Are there any?

After checking Residence policies for both UMBC and UMD, you can only keep a maximum tank of 10 gallons. I have a 33 gallon tank with some small cichlids and a large 125 gallon tank with some bigger cichlids. I wanted to at least bring my 33 gallon along with me when i go back to college, which could be anywhere at this point.

Let me know if you have any experience with this type of issue or any advice you might have.

Thanks

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I had a 55 when I was in college at Catholic U. I just brought it in and didnt ask. Worse think that could happen is that they make you take it back home.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
I had a double stand for 30 gallon tanks that I had my senior year in college(St. Mary's College of MD). I was in an on-campus townhome so there may have been a little more leeway than most dorms. If your roommate is cool with it, I think the 33 shouldn't be a problem.

I think the 125 might be more problematic. If you go any bigger than the 33, I would go with a tank to match the space.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Rules #3 & #4 (& Axiom #12)

#3: Rules are for people who don't know how to act.

#4: Easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Axiom#12: What people don't know won't hurt them. (This is mostly patent BS as there is a cosmic plethora of exceptions (some lethal - both to the ignorant and those within range) but none that I am aware of that involve covert and responsible stewardship of fish tanks).

Go for it.

PS - I had a 55 in pet-free dorm for a year. I never asked, never made a secret of it and no one including the RA ever said anything but, "Cool".

#3: Rules are for people who don't know how to act.

#4: Easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Axiom#12: What people don't know won't hurt them. (This is mostly patent BS as there is a cosmic plethora of exceptions (some lethal - both to the ignorant and those within range) but none that I am aware of that involve covert and responsible stewardship of fish tanks).

Go for it.

PS - I had a 55 in pet-free dorm for a year. I never asked, never made a secret of it and no one including the RA ever said anything but, "Cool".

Thank you for your input. May i ask, how did you get your tank thru the lobby with all the security gaurds, into the elevator that isnt big enough, and into your dorm room without one person saying...HEY NO PETS ALLOWED!

But thats awesome, i hope the same thing happens for me

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Well..

There was no lobby per se, no security at all and no elevator. But even a 48" 33 could be disguised as a cardboard box and stood on end on a trolley or hand truck alongside of other possessions. If you're thinking a 125, that's a different story. You could try and just wheel it in upright stiffed with speakers, clothes, etc. during the height of move-in day and if anyone notices and asks say it's a terrarium for orchids or some such (it would help to pick some plants up at Home Depot beforehand) and act like it's perfectly normal. You're in college - eccentricity is expected and tolerated provided it looks harmless. Make it your last load and chat up the guard(s) a bit ahead of time. Personally a 125 in the confines of typically-sized college dorm room strikes me as a bit of a reach (more so as the preponderance and proximity of sexually active hormone-driven late teen to to 20-something higher primates exerts a much higher attraction to me personally even the rarest and most stunning cichlids). A 33 is cool, a 125 might make you a geek. I'd wait until you get your own apartment for the latter - believe you'll find that for academic life, less is indeed more.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I like your logic, Sam.

One more thing to consider. If I was your roommate (and was not *really* into fish), I would probably not be cool with you having 4' of our room being taken up by a fish tank. 6' tank... that's just being over-the-top and outright rude.

londonloco

Members
Please do not pick your college because it will allow you to have a fish tank, or it's easier to sneak into a dorm with one. There are 1000 other considerations in picking a college that should come first.

That said, I not only had a 10g in my college dorm for 4 years, I also kept a kitten for a semester. You just have to be smart about it.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
While sometimes it is better to ask forgiveness than ask permission. Consider if you have the ability to find housing off campus if UMBC decides that you knowing violated the housing contract and ask you to leave your dorm. While it may be a long shot are an extra 23 gallons really worth the cost of a commute or off campus housing? Since s*** happens and the tank fails; do you have the money to repair the damages if any because of the extra 23 gallons because if something is damaged is for sure will be attributed to the extra water. Their a time and place for rule skirting and I don't think this one is really worth it.

Or maybe I am just an old straight laced fart.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
am i the only one thinking about how water changes would just have to suck as they most likely have to be done by hand? thats carrying a 5 gallon bucket 14xs down a hall to drain/refill. it would be cool if you were off campus but a dorm is a bit of a hassle. good luck w/ whatever you decide and with your education.

Tony

While sometimes it is better to ask forgiveness than ask permission. Consider if you have the ability to find housing off campus if UMBC decides that you knowing violated the housing contract and ask you to leave your dorm. While it may be a long shot are an extra 23 gallons really worth the cost of a commute or off campus housing? Since s*** happens and the tank fails; do you have the money to repair the damages if any because of the extra 23 gallons because if something is damaged is for sure will be attributed to the extra water. Their a time and place for rule skirting and I don't think this one is really worth it.

+1.

Or maybe I am just an old straight laced fart.

+100.
:p

dogofwar

CCA Members
Did the kitten outgrow the 10g? I usually keep pairs in 40g breeders....

No matter what school you attend, the chances are pretty high that a) beer or other substances will be dumped in your tank...b) your roommate being freaked out/angered by bubbling noises in a tank of any size...or c) the vaguely moldy / Melafix-y / ball-sacky smell of your room (which WILL be attributed to your fish tank) will dissuade members of the opposite sex from coming in your room (a very bad thing for you...and your roommate).

I'd wait until you meet your roommate and broach the subject...

Matt

Please do not pick your college because it will allow you to have a fish tank, or it's easier to sneak into a dorm with one. There are 1000 other considerations in picking a college that should come first.

That said, I not only had a 10g in my college dorm for 4 years, I also kept a kitten for a semester. You just have to be smart about it.

verbal

CCA Members
While sometimes it is better to ask forgiveness than ask permission. Consider if you have the ability to find housing off campus if UMBC decides that you knowing violated the housing contract and ask you to leave your dorm.
I think the chances of being kicked out of the dorms for having a fish tank that is too big are very low. I think having to take the tank back home likely the worst case scenario.

While it may be a long shot are an extra 23 gallons really worth the cost of a commute or off campus housing? Since s*** happens and the tank fails; do you have the money to repair the damages if any because of the extra 23 gallons because if something is damaged is for sure will be attributed to the extra water. Their a time and place for rule skirting and I don't think this one is really worth it.

You do bring up a good point about the damage angle. I also think how well you get along with the roommate will make a big difference. If the relationship isn't great, then sticking to the rules is likely the best bet. However if they are agreeable, the 33 might work out. The only way I would consider the 125 in a dorm room is if they were also a fish nut.

One option might be to start with juvies in a 10 gallon tank. With the idea of upgrading to the 33 2nd semester.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
No matter what school you attend, the chances are pretty high that a) beer or other substances will be dumped in your tank...b) your roommate being freaked out/angered by bubbling noises in a tank of any size...or c) the vaguely moldy / Melafix-y / ball-sacky smell of your room (which WILL be attributed to your fish tank) will dissuade members of the opposite sex from coming in your room (a very bad thing for you...and your roommate).
Matt

I will deny that my dorm room ever smelled ball-sacky...:D

Tony

I have known many people to do battle with tequila shots. I can't recall anyone ever winning.

I say the only true loss in the battle with tequila is wetting the bed.

Lessor consequences are comparatively minor and to be expected imo.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm a fish enthusiast (duh?!) but I think that I would even be pissed if my roommate had somehow shoehorned a 6 foot tank into our (shared) dorm room.

Most college students (among others) need to learn from personal experience that Tequila is not to be trifled with!

Matt