• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

PEX vs PVC in a fishroom?

chriscoli

Administrator
For those of you who are into the DIY....who is using PEX? The cost has kept me away, but it does seem appealing to be able to avoid 90 degree angles and get it to fit in odd-shaped arrangements.

Is it worth it?

Jt731

Members
I shudder to the think about the pex manifold costs for what you are building but man that would make adding tanks:changing stuff around easy

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
There's this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...in-Barb-4-Port-Open-Manifold-22786A/202300059

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...n-Barb-8-Port-Closed-Manifold-22789/202721982

Then, there's this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-12-Port-PEX-Manifold-with-Valves-6907912CP/202709898

While I've not used PEX, I have used sharkbite fittings on my copper water supplies and am quite satisfied with them (they can connect copper, PVC and PEX and any combination). My contractor used shark bite to transition from copper to PVC. Lowes has a version of shark bite that I did not like. The only place I would not consider shark bite like fittings is for outside faucet connections as the cold they would be subject to could shrink the plastic inner gasket. The best thing about these fittings is that they come apart real easily so the plumbing can be easily reconfigured.

JLW

CCA Members
I've set up entire systems with PEX.
It ain't cheap... but it works, and it is so easy and nice to use. For a hobbyist, I think it's a good way to go.

chriscoli

Administrator
For those of you out there that have used PEX before, do you prefer the push-to-fit Sharkbite fittings, or do you prefer the crimps? What's better for someone inexperienced with plumbing?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
For those of you out there that have used PEX before, do you prefer the push-to-fit Sharkbite fittings, or do you prefer the crimps? What's better for someone inexperienced with plumbing?

I used the Sharkbites and flexible lines to run 3 water lines to my fish room. I had to run up through a chase in my wall, across the drop ceiling and back down to the fish room. It was nice using the flexible rolled hose in lieu of straight conventional PVC and glued fittings. Each line was one continuous run from under the shop sink to the spigots.

If I was doing more with it, the crimped connections would be the way to go. Only issue with them though is the initial cost. I think that the crimp tool is $60-$80. After that, the connections are darn-near free, compared to the Sharkbites.

chriscoli

Administrator
The sharkbite fitting seem pretty idiot-proof, which is part of their appeal, but the cost adds up, as you mentioned.

Is there any significant skill needed with the crimping or is it also pretty straight forward once you get the hang of it?

lkelly

Members
The sharkbite fitting seem pretty idiot-proof, which is part of their appeal, but the cost adds up, as you mentioned.

Is there any significant skill needed with the crimping or is it also pretty straight forward once you get the hang of it?

Opposable thumbs?

JLW

CCA Members
The Sharkbites can be put on incorrectly and start to leak down the road. If you do them right, they won't, but ... yea, I've screwed a few up and two, three weeks later, there's a drip.

The crimps are pretty near indestructible. I would go with crimps -- and the cost isn't that high once you buy the tool. If you're going to do more than a couple of them, get the crimp tool and do it that way. You can also always borrow a tool if you are only doing a single project -- not from me, though. I loaned mine out in January and haven't seen it since. :(

chriscoli

Administrator
What size PEX?

Seems like the most easily obtained fittings are in 3/4". Is that enough to supply a rack of 8 to 10, 20gallon tanks that's being refilled simultaneously? I don't expect a really fast fill, but I also don't want it to take forever either.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app