• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Best LED lighting for fish

Jt731

Members
I was very surprised at how much light the stingray put out.

The number almost everyone ignores with led is the angle. Most commercial aquarium led are 120, which means the angle of the light from the source is designed to go out at a 120 degree angle. Or, in more basic terms, it's ability to project to the bottom is going to suck.

That's one of the bigger things about buildmyled, you tell them your tank is x deep and they can design the led angle to fit

I'm mostly finnex, but I am lazy. I've had 3 failed lights over the past year, but I drop mine in the water all the time. Tomorrow I'm getting a finnex 24/7 to play with, and I am excited to see how the daylight cycle emulation works

Tangcollector

Staff member
I hesitate to post here because the beamworks has been shot down before but I love them. No issues over 1 year in . I have them on all of my tanks.
Here is 2 24" lights on a 125.
I get the Hi lumen
LED 24" 0.10W 78x - 700 lumen 72x 10000K, 6x Actinic
and they were less than 27.00 each.
I use Top Dog Sellers on Ebay.
Some times discounts when you buy more than one.
They are great.
My Tropheus are small but the color is really starting to pop.

20150518_212720.jpg

20150518_202426.jpg

Hawkman2000

Members
The Finnec 24/7 is on amazon for not to much more than the beamsworks. Dont know if it would be enough for a deep tank though. I am going to try one on a 37 soon.

My friend splurged and got the current satelite plus pro. Awsome light. A bit expencive though. Amazon 48 for about 280?

Malawimania

Members
I have two 6500k current satellite fresh water plus LEDs on my 220. It's simply not bright enough. Previously I had two beamsworks quad 48"1 watt LEDs which was plenty of light. I still have both, but unfortunately the power supply crapped out on one of the beamsworks ( 2 years after purchase )I'm now down to just one which I have set up on my 120. The light really displays my peacocks and haps colors well.

The beamsworks are super inexpensive so I've decided to buy 2 more 48" LEDs. This time I'm buying the tri 1 watt 10,000k actinic. Both lights cost 145 shipped, can't beat that. The plan is to have the 2 current 6500 k lights and 2 beamsworks tri 1 watt run together. I will have 4 lights on the tank which I was trying to avoid but hopefully I get the lighting I want.

-Steve

Becca

Members
I have two 6500k current satellite fresh water plus LEDs on my 220. It's simply not bright enough. Previously I had two beamsworks quad 48"1 watt LEDs which was plenty of light. I still have both, but unfortunately the power supply crapped out on one of the beamsworks ( 2 years after purchase )I'm now down to just one which I have set up on my 120. The light really displays my peacocks and haps colors well.

The beamsworks are super inexpensive so I've decided to buy 2 more 48" LEDs. This time I'm buying the tri 1 watt 10,000k actinic. Both lights cost 145 shipped, can't beat that. The plan is to have the 2 current 6500 k lights and 2 beamsworks tri 1 watt run together. I will have 4 lights on the tank which I was trying to avoid but hopefully I get the lighting I want.

-Steve

You should be able to order a new power supply for your beamswork, unless they're now hard wired. That's what we did when ours crapped out. We got ours on ebay from topdogsellers and the power supply quit less than a year in, but the seller would not work with us at all on replacing it. It's part of why we'll never use beamswork again.

Howie

Members
You should be able to order a new power supply for your beamswork, unless they're now hard wired. That's what we did when ours crapped out. We got ours on ebay from topdogsellers and the power supply quit less than a year in, but the seller would not work with us at all on replacing it. It's part of why we'll never use beamswork again.

I guess that's what I possibly have to look forward to with my Beamswork 60"fixture. I only have the lights on about 4-5 hours a day. Fingers crossed.