• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Vacation Feeders

Howie

Members
So I'm going on vacation for a week next month and need ideas for vacation feeders, especially for my 120.

In the past I've used the vacation feeder food pyramids. They seemed to have worked and I came home with all my fish alive and well.

I saw the Eheim Everyday Programmable Fish Feeder on Amazon--it got decent reviews overall, but it seems to be better for flake than pellets. Since I mainly feed my fish NLS 1mm and 2mm pellets, I'm not sure if it's going to do the job. Thoughts on this product? Other better products?

Suggestions and recommendations, please.

mchambers

Former CCA member
The Eheim is good and should be fine for pellets. Having said that, I simply would not feed your fish for week. They will be fine without food for that time. I've gone up to two weeks without feeding.

Becca

Members
When we go away I usually will ask someone to come check on the tanks, make sure filters are running, do a light feeding, once or twice while we're away. If you're really worried about it, maybe hire someone to do that?

Aside from that, I generally agree with the notion that they can skip a full week without any issues.

i go up to a week without feeding on occasion, and go 4 days without every-other week. i guess it depends on what you're keeping, really. that said, i would steer clear of the gel-based vacation feeders, that come in the yellow package (i forget the brand). a few times i'd had them go largely uneaten, get lost in the tank and not found until the next cleaning.

thedavidzoo

Members
Think about all those mouth-brooding females that hold fry for 3-4 weeks without eating at all!
Your fish will most likely be just fine for a week.

Jt731

Members
Tip if you do get someone to come feed your fish, get one of those weekly pill boxes and put what you want them to feed in the right compartment for the day

Also, agree on not feeding. Think about how happy they will be to see you when you walk back in

dogofwar

CCA Members
Just don't feed for a week, especially if your fish are well fed prior.

Usually the day that I leave to travel, I drop a nice chunk of Repashy in each tank.

Matt

zackcrack00

Members
I'm in San Francisco right now. I just measured out about two teaspoons of earthworm flake for my dad to split between the adult tanks once while gone. He's also feeding BBS once a day to my fry tanks and golden pearls once a day to the same tanks. If other family members are staying in your house could you ask them to watch over your tanks?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Howie

Members
Thanks for all your suggestions. I know it may seem overly cautious, but I'm going to opt to do Eheim feeders on bigger tanks and pyramid feeders on smaller tanks.