• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB: female albino BN pleco

chriscoli

Administrator
Although females MAY have bristles in some Ancistrus, I've found that the vast majority of common BNs don't. If mine have any bristles, they tend to turn out to be subdominant males. Just a generality, though. Females will also be pudgier in the ribs when viewed from above (kind of like cories).

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Turns out for male albino BN there is always a red horse-shoe shaped mark on the head of the male even when he does not have bristles. Mature males develop bristles but not usually before they are around 3 inches in length. THat is, often albino and other BN that are less than about 3 inches are hard to sex because the males have not yet developed bristles.

If the females are seen to have bristles, they are very short.

Females are usually shorter than males and wider back to the pelvis whereas males are slimmer from front to back.

chriscoli

Administrator
Aaaaah, I have seen that mark on their head in the mature males very clearly....I'll start looking for it in the smaller ones now!