• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB Demasoni

MattGT323

Members
Hey guys, I'd like to buy 5 demasonis if anybodys selling or know who or where I can get them from. I want to get them at around 2" and that should complete my mbuna tank. Thanks in advance!

~Matt

Digital

Members
Frankcowherd has very high quality demasoni.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I do sell demasoni. Pseudotropheus demasoni is a CARES fish and best kept in a large group, $5 each or 12 two to three inch fish for $50.
If you want larger fish, adult males are $7 each and adult females $9 each

MattGT323

Members
Awesome, thanks! Pmd u Frank. This is will be my first go with Demasoni. They'll go in a 55g at our shop that has 16 other mbunas all about 2-2.5" waiting for a few more tankmates, Im sure they'll do just fine.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Demasoni are rough on each other and can kill if you do not design their tank correctly. If you have caves or any place the smaller or weaker or female can be caught in and cannot get out a back exit, they can be killed. The secret to keeping demasoni without deaths is to have no dead end places. All caves must really be tunnels with rear exits.

I use PVC pipe. Lots of them. About 4 to 10 inches long. THe bully cannot trap the weaker in them because they simply go out the other end and into another pipe. I have not lost a demasoni in years due to bullying. Fry even grow in this set up with adults to adult size.

The same design can be make with rocks, slate, plastic stuff.

I know there are other hobbyists who successfully keep and breed demasoni. I wonder if they have other designs or use something similar to what I use.

Digital

Members
I had a dozen of Frank's demasoni. He is correct, they have a lot of energy!!!

I found that a huge pile of larger river rocks on both sides of my tank worked really well to give the subdoms a place to hide. The two dom males each claimed their half of the tank and left the other alone as long as they couldn't see each other. To keep their lines of sight blocked I put some slate vertical in the middle.

I ended up selling all but one to another CCA member. I have one male demasoni mixed in my hap/peacock tank. It works really well because even though he tries to be the dom male of the tank, he is too small to cause any real harm.

Marlin

Howie

Members
Demasoni

I do sell demasoni. Pseudotropheus demasoni is a CARES fish and best kept in a large group, $5 each or 12 two to three inch fish for $50.
If you want larger fish, adult males are $7 each and adult females $9 each

Would a male work in a tank with a cobalt blue zebra, red zebra, blue acei, and yellow lab (all males) and 4 clown loaches. I have a lace rock wall with no dead ends. If so, I may be interested in a large male.

verbal

CCA Members
Would a male work in a tank with a cobalt blue zebra, red zebra, blue acei, and yellow lab (all males) and 4 clown loaches. I have a lace rock wall with no dead ends. If so, I may be interested in a large male.

I would keep a close eye on him the when you first add him, but it is probably worth a try. Demasoni tend to focus more on their own kind with their aggression vs. other species - yellow labs/demasoni are a common combination. Even with their focus on their own species I would not recommend them as tankmates for most haps or peacocks.

Howie

Members
Demasoni

I would keep a close eye on him the when you first add him, but it is probably worth a try. Demasoni tend to focus more on their own kind with their aggression vs. other species - yellow labs/demasoni are a common combination. Even with their focus on their own species I would not recommend them as tankmates for most haps or peacocks.

I would never stick him in my 120 hap and peacock tank. He would be going in my 36 bow fr Mbuna tank. Do they have the same nasty disposition and aggression level as Johannis? If so, then adding him is a no-go.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
You'd have to keep a close eye on the tank to monitor the interaction of the fish to see if there is a real problem caused by the demasoni. One thing I have found is that the more fish the better. The bully then never can concentrate on one fish. The more mbunas the better. It works with angelfish too. THe more angelfish in a tank the more the aggression is spread around and everyone lives more or less peacefully or at least without visible wounds. No torn fins. Put less than 6 angelfish in a tank and when you get two of them paired up, the fights with the others begin.

Howie

Members
Demasoni

You'd have to keep a close eye on the tank to monitor the interaction of the fish to see if there is a real problem caused by the demasoni. One thing I have found is that the more fish the better. The bully then never can concentrate on one fish. The more mbunas the better. It works with angelfish too. THe more angelfish in a tank the more the aggression is spread around and everyone lives more or less peacefully or at least without visible wounds. No torn fins. Put less than 6 angelfish in a tank and when you get two of them paired up, the fights with the others begin.

I'd take a large male - how big are the males? The cobalt zebra is the alpha dog in the tank and he's about 4.5". PM me

Digital

Members
I'd recommend a small male and let him grow into the community

Reed

Very Fishe
Franks Demasoni are amazing. He had several Bags the Pvas auction and they looked great

MattGT323

Members
Got 5 demasoni from Frank yesterday. Took this pic right after i added them. They are great quality and i noticed one of them is already holding fry! And i suspect another is holding eggs. I wanted this tank to be all mbuna but i couldn't pass up on 5 peacocks when i went to a lfs last weekend:/
Thoughts?

~Matt

image.jpg