• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Stingray near death experience

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Hey guys
So at the last meeting I won a beautiful trio of astatheros oblognum and for the rest of that day they were co-existing fine with everyone in their new tank. The next morning when I go to turn the lights on I say ray charles -my stingray- all light colored and ripped up in the corner of the tank. I freaked out because normally he's happily waiting at or near the front of the glass for breakfast. I sit down to watch the tank to see who could've attacked him and not 30 seconds after I started looking around, the male oblognum bites rays tail and shakes around. Not thinking, I net out ray and plop into a 55. I then found out why people dont move stingrays with nets. His stinger got caught and he started thrashing around trying to free himself when I dipped the net in the tank. I tried gently untangling the stinger with an extra long pair of tweazers. Ray's constant thrashing and squirming made it extremely difficult to get him out and since I didn't want to be sent to the hospital -especially at 6:45 in the morning- so I just cut a small hole around the stinger. The reason I didnt post up this thread earlier was because I honestly though ray wouldnt make it. My old ray died because of being thrashed around like ray was so I was very worried. Ray even had fungus starting to grow around his disk and on the tip of his tail and ince rays are extremely sensitive -especially when they have an illness, injury, or fungus- so all I could was do very light dosings of pimafix and and cross my fingers. The filter in the tank is rated for 175 gallons so the water quality should be great. Im sorry about not posting pics but he is always burrying himself. A few days ago I was shure he was going to die but he's started eating again and starting to look better. If anyone has any tips on how to get the net off or medicate the tank feel free to say it.
Thanks

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Dude close call how big is ray? you can clip his barb no prob they do it at zoos and aquariums where you get to pet the rays. As for meds no clue not familiar enough with them

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Ray is about 5" in disc length but about 9" in full length. Do you know how I could clip the stinger without hurting him?

rich_one

Members
Dan, is it on the part of the barb that he eventually sheds? If so, perhaps the best thing to do is just wait until he sheds it, then remove the shed barb w/ netting around it when you see it lying on the bottom of the tank?

-Rich

rich_one

Members
Ouch. I don't know, man. Don't see how your going to do this without stressing him, and wearing protective gloves for yourself. Good luck with it, man.

-Rich

Localzoo

Board of Directors
If you have a dog the same nail clippers I've seen human nail clippers do the job. But on slightly smaller rays.

How to do it very carefully if you have a large shallow tub that you can put him in temporarily that would be even better.

I would just let him be,honestly maybe someone who lives closer may be able to help. if its not hurting him or its small enough it's not getting snagged he will be ok

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app