• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tropheus question

npbarca

Members
I saw some really awesome tropheus (that I just have to have). What would be a good sized tank for 12-15 adult tropheus? I've beendoing some research, and some say that a tank of 55 gallons or more will work. Looking for some people with first hand experience, because these tropheus aren't cheap!

Nick

Tangcollector

Staff member
You will ask that question to 100 people and get 100 different answers. I would not go any smaller than a 125 ft tank for 12-15 adult tropheus. I know people have done a lot with smaller tanks but bigger is better and at least 18" deep. Remember water quality, stress, and diet are what keep or kill Tropheus. I have 20 tropheus in a 125 right now and they are doing fine.
The only other thing in there with them is 4 Julies. Good luck. You will love them.

KRUCIAN KING

Members
How ironic I have an empty 36x18x24 and wanted to go with a small group of trophs, but wasn't sure my tank was appropriate.

verbal

CCA Members
A 36" tank will be a challenge. I think generally a 75 could work. The big key is filtration because they like flow and do better overcrowded to reduce aggression.

npbarca

Members
The group I am interested in consists of 15 4" wild caught fish. 5 males and 10 females. I don't want to go smaller than a 75, but I don't want to go bigger than 90 because I think anything larger would be too much room for only 15, and would not reduce aggression. Thoughts?

YSS

Members
90G would work. I have kept various colonies of trophs in the 90G, but a 6 foot tank is better. You can always put some nice sand sifters and synos with them. Calvus will work great with them as well.

Last edited:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I keep my duboisi in a 75 with yellow labs and a group of jacobfreibergi. I have about 10, which started as about 20 or so juveniles. I think that the group is now stable. The labs were added later as were the jakes and I think that they've really helped with the aggression. It also adds a lot of color and variety, which I like.

Cichlid Lips

Members
I keep about 7 or so types of Tropheus and have kept them the better part of 30 years and the thing I learned a long time ago is there are no real set rules, only guidelines. These guys have a mind of their own, and each fish has it's own personality.

I'd think you could get away with a 75, but I always want to go larger so that my water stays as consistent as it possibly can.

Tropheus are not quite as demanding as Discus, but I treat them the same and do water changes every week, and I tend to ride the PH scale of 8.7 to 9.

Over crowding can help with aggression, but I have found that it is even easier to keep it down if you don't have too many hiding spots. There's always going to be some aggression going on though, that's just how these guys roll. Just keep a spare "time out" tank.
:D

Which type are you looking at?

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
You have gotten good stuff so far. I always kept a group as big as yours in a 100 so a 90 should be good. The 55 might be a bit small. I do not Agree with the no hiding place thing though. I had piles of rocks and had females hide there when they were holding. Babies seemed to appear out of nowhere. I never kept other fish with mine because I wanted fry and the Tropheus did not seem to eat their own. Someone told you they have their own personalities and I agree. They are unpredictable. If you put them all in the tank together you should be alright. They are terrific fish and I could them fairly easy to breed.

George

i would go with at a minimum 75gal, thinking long term once they grow, they need space to swim, also, they produce a good amount of waste, you'll have more buffer. Also, in case you wanted to add another kind of fish, like goby, a Malawi, or a comp/calvus, you'll have the space

Alex

Members
can you keep several different species of Tropheus together or do they all need to be the same species?

jmessineo1

Members
Not hi jack the post, though i was considering keeping a group as well, where would you would recommend getting a group of juvies?