• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Can someone please help?? My new filter stopped working when adding water!?!?!?

nippyfishy

Members
Hey there,

So I was adding water to my 20 gallon long tank and my 2 month old Marineland filter stopped working! I tried to unplug it for a while and nothing happened when I plugged it back in. I made sure that the outlet was still working. There is no sound at all coming from the motor. I also made sure that they was plenty of water in the filter. So I gave up and switched that filter out with a brand new Tetra Whisper filter which worked fine right away (also in the same outlet as the old filter), until I started to add water to the tank.. That filter also shut off exactly like the previous one. I have added water to that same tank with that same Marineland filter, so I have no clue why out of nowhere both filters shut off when I add water??? They have been unplugged for a day now and when I tried to plug them in neither make any sound. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be, or how I could fix this? I don't want to buy another filter just to have the same thing happen.. :sad0017:

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
HAVE A LOOK AT THAT OUTLET LIKE CALEB I THINK THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM. ID ALSO CHECK YOUR FUSEBOX JUST TO MAKE SURE YOU DIDN'T TRIP A FUSE.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
are these Hang on Back filters? If so, remove teh intake tube and poke the impellar. Sounds like they are not lined up. They use a magnet, so sometimes just poking them starts them right back up.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I agree with Rachel. I have an AC110 that sometimes will not restart after a water change. I just wiggle the impeller shaft a bit and it starts right back up.

To the OP - keep an eye on your water parameters. If the old filter was the only one on the tank, you may see a mini-cycle on the tank.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Yup - a jab with a sharpened pencil into the impeller usually does the trick. Aquaclears are notorious for kicking off with a power blink - other than that, the best HOB filter out there in my book.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Filter

Yup - a jab with a sharpened pencil into the impeller usually does the trick. Aquaclears are notorious for kicking off with a power blink - other than that, the best HOB filter out there in my book.
She's got a Marineland filter, not an AquaClear, so accessing the impeller isn't so eay.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
marinelands do it all the time too. In fact, i stopped using them at all a long time ago because they would not restart after a power outtage but my AC's always did. Regardless, removing the intake tube and poking the impellar usually works.