• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Convict-Cutter Hybrids?

dSerk

Members
Howdy, y'all.

My female cutteri and my female convict seemed to have some sort of love-connection; they were inseperable. I recently acquired a male cutteri to go with my female but the fish had other plans :( The male cutter and female convict got together and kicked the female cutteri to the curb.

Right now my female convict and the male cutteri are spawning together in a flowerpot. I see a couple hundred eggs already and the male does appear to be trying to fertilize them.

First question: Is there a chance the convict's eggs will be fertilized by the male cutteri?

Second: Why did these two fish decide to pair up when there is a male and female of their same species in the tank? Size difference? Water chemistry?

The male cutteri is about 1/2 or 3/4 inch longer than the female. The female convict is also about the same proportion larger than the available male convict.

I appreciate any insights!

minifoot77

Members
they are both the same genuis just different species or something like that they will continue to do it untill you split them and then they might not want the new mate...

dogofwar

CCA Members
It is possible for cutteri and convicts to mate and have viable offspring...although (in nature) they're often found together and don't do this.

I'd bet that the male cutteri is the only male in the tank...or the female cutteri is a male... Or the convict was horny for some strange ;)

either way I've got mature female cutteri if you'd like one

Matt

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I"ve had them interbreed in my tanks, I've raised them to 1" to use as feeders. I have a pair of cutteri in with a white male con and the female cutteri prefers the con.

dSerk

Members
Thanks, everyone. I guess the real question is why don't the fish do what you want? :rolleyes:

Dlfn1, what became of your hybrid fish? They aren't unattractive, but I really wish the cutteri's had gotten together.

Dogofwar, I need to pass on the female cutteri for now (tanks getting crowded), but thanks. (maybe you'd like my female convict? She's irresistible!)

My female cutteri is female. Two months ago she laid eggs. The eggs were gone after a couple days (prolly eaten). I thought she was ready to go but that vixen convict charmed the new cutteri i guess. She IS a pretty fish....

One difference (which could hardly matter to the fish) is my female cutteri has 6 stripes but the male has 7... could he be a septemfasciatus? I got the female at SuperPetz in Annandale. Last time I checked they still had a few juvies and the parents if anyone's curious.

ANYWAY, for now I'm just going to enjoy the show. He's still digging and yanking on my plants, flashing his fins and chasing off the little male convict (he doesn't seem to mind the Rainbow cichlid lurking near his pot but that convict better stay away).... So much drama, not at all like keeping tetras! Better!

dlfn1

Members
i still have my cutteri/convict. right now he/she is in w/ some gymno's. didn't want to "get rid" of him/her as it's a pretty fish. turns almost violet w/ the black stripes and then sometimes will go pale to almost white w/ the black stripes. it's about 4 inches if i had to guess. so i'll keep 'em to live out his life.

marge618

CCA member
ANYWAY, for now I'm just going to enjoy the show. He's still digging and yanking on my plants, flashing his fins and chasing off the little male convict (he doesn't seem to mind the Rainbow cichlid lurking near his pot but that convict better stay away).... So much drama, not at all like keeping tetras! Better!

YES DRAMA! Soooo much better! That's why we're all so enthralled with the cichlids.