• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hybrids

dogofwar

CCA Members
I put hybrids (and other fancy fish) into two categories:

1) Intentionally developed strains or lines of fancy fish (e.g. OB peacocks, koi angelfish, electric orange colored discus, quality flowerhorns, electric blue JDs and acaras, ruby red peacocks, firefish, parrots, etc.) - in other words fancy fish that were developed (through line breeding, hybridization or both) to be different from what's found in nature. Man's been creating fancy fish since like 200AD (colored koi).

2) Random crosses that result from fish breeding in aquarium conditions. "Mixed" Africans, two different Central Americans breeding, crossing strains of peacocks, haps, etc. This is often the unintended result of keeping multiple varieties of fish together that wouldn't naturally occur. Many, many cichlids will cross. And the first generation offspring are likely to not be anything particularly interesting or special. They'll probably look kind of like one parent or another. Which is the main issue.

Rich is right: the fish themselves aren't bad, per se. What can result in bad things is when they're sold or traded.

There are no shortage of fish posted on our forum and elsewhere asking for an ID. Whether this is as a result of people not keeping labels for the fish that they get with solid labels, people pulling fish out of mixed tanks or something else, who knows. People postulate and guess. And sometimes one can be pretty certain. But at the end of the day, without some provenance on the fish... especially on easily and commonly hybridized or mixed stuff, it's just a guess. And better to assume that it shouldn't be included in a breeding project and/or definitively labeled as anything other than a mixed african cichlid or low-grade flowerhorn or midevil or whatever....which can be interesting and beautiful fish.

For all of the people that get angry about hybrid fish making "pure" fish difficult to find, I think that the burden sits with the minority of us who care about keeping lines of fish as authentic to wild-type as possible. If we want to maintain "pure" lines, it's up to us....

Matt

I love how some people think they're experts....keep the fish, let them grow out. you may have some beautiful fish here. do what you want with them, their YOUR fish...

No one claimed to be an expert. If anything I said was wrong please correct me. I'd love to hear something intelligent come from you........ I won't hold my breath though.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Come on .... Let's be nice

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

+1

@Matt I like your categories.

The fish are in your tank do what you will with them. I would grow them out just know they are hybrids.

As for hybrids they're many classifications and when it comes down to it, people like "natural/wild hybrids" (think hurricanes natural disasters that cause cause fish to migrate and possibly hybridize) this takes years but technically no one is complaining bc it happened naturally.

It's a matter of preference that's all.
More focus on better fish husbandry (filter & tank size) keep what you can happy and healthy. Rather than something special, wild, or rare in miserable conditions.

Honestly I prefer not to have hybrids (technically they all are hybrids bc they are all inbred/line bred....limited to certain mates etc...) but Better yet leave the wild fish alone and stop messing with the Eco systems they in.

Raven20

Members
No one claimed to be an expert. If anything I said was wrong please correct me. I'd love to hear something intelligent come from you........ I won't hold my breath though.

Awww....the expert chimes in, when was the last time you went diving in Lake Malawi? you know for a fact that there isn't any hybridization going on? besides what you read on the internet? I'm curious to know how you know this?

chriscoli

Administrator
Enough, Gentlemen.....this is not going in a productive direction. Let's quit poking each other or this thread will have to be closed.

The topic of hybrids is always a tense one, please tread carefully and keep it respectful and informative.

dogofwar

CCA Members
There is evidence that hybridization is a mechanism for speciation (in nature, including the Rift Lakes). There's also evidence that when man moves fish from one (isolated) reef or locale to another (for example, as a result of the tropical fish trade) that the fish that have been moved will hybridize with the locals (in the Lake).

None of this has anything to do with whether one should raise and distribute a random mouthful of offspring from a mixed African cichlid tank. As I posted before, the fry will likely be nothing special but just close enough looking to one parent species or another that they'll be passed off as something that they're not, even if you don't. It would be great if people were more responsible, conscientious and honest about labeling...but they're not.

Whether the array of geographic variants of a particular species of peacock (A. stuartgranti, for example) are different enough to be different species or variants of a single species is an arbitrary one based on predilections of taxonomists. Species is a concept developed by man and not Mother Nature... What we do know is that geographic isolation is what has resulted in distinctly different populations with different characteristics.

Matt

For a while I thought that hybridization must take place in the wild. More specifically in lake malawi. The more I learned about the actual lake, not the fish, the more obvious it became that this couldn't be farther from the truth. I forget the numbers for miles of coastline but its pretty unfathomable how big the lake is. That's just a spacial border. there are so many differnt fish (we call species) and each one evolutionarily fine tuned to a specific enviornment. I suppose it is possible that it could happen but when they do man is usually involved. I'm sure there are situations with fish in other parts of the world that these things may not apply to even as close as lake victoria. As far as malawi goes its pretty highly unlikely. I have read some conflicting arguements but we're a long way from anything concrete.

Awww....the expert chimes in, when was the last time you went diving in Lake Malawi? you know for a fact that there isn't any hybridization going on? besides what you read on the internet? I'm curious to know how you know this?

I wonder what post you read where did I say there wasn't any? I said it wasn't probable and its not. Before you start typing first read the post try doing it out loud you may undersrand it better then maybe do some reaserch. If you did this it may prevent you from having to pull you foot from your mouth.

dogofwar

CCA Members
There's plenty of solid scientific evidence that hybridization plays are role in speciation in Malawi cichlids - a few (of many) below.

But, again, this has nothing to do with people randomly creating mixed cichlids in poorly planned cichlid aquaria ;)

Recent studies suggest hybridization may have played a major role in the genetic diversity of Lake Malawi cichlids (Smith et al. 2003, Seehausen 2004, Streelman et al. 2004, Albertson and Kocher 2005). (https://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstre...F814B55D97AD94FA31E9DCCD55E.smart2?sequence=1)

Smith, P. F., A. Konings, and I. Kornfield. 2003. Hybrid origin of a cichlid population in Lake Malawi: Implications for genetic variation and species diversity. Molecular Ecology 12:2497-2504.

Seehausen, O. 2004. Hybridization and adaptive radiation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 19:198-207.

Albertson, R. C., and T. D. Kocher. 2005. Genetic architecture sets limits on transgressive segregation in hybrid cichlid fishes. Evolution 59:686-690.

Matt

For a while I thought that hybridization must take place in the wild. More specifically in lake malawi. The more I learned about the actual lake, not the fish, the more obvious it became that this couldn't be farther from the truth. I forget the numbers for miles of coastline but its pretty unfathomable how big the lake is. That's just a spacial border. there are so many differnt fish (we call species) and each one evolutionarily fine tuned to a specific enviornment. I suppose it is possible that it could happen but when they do man is usually involved. I'm sure there are situations with fish in other parts of the world that these things may not apply to even as close as lake victoria. As far as malawi goes its pretty highly unlikely. I have read some conflicting arguements but we're a long way from anything concrete.

Acpape0

Members
On a lighter note ,

I would love to dive lake Malawi

Ps.

June 17th 4097,
Random inbred hybrids are 100% natural in glass cages found in mans living quarters. They have been know to be spread to other glass cages when two humans who have glass cages in their homes meet. Genetic testing has proved that these fishes ancestors may have originated from one of three lakes found in Africa. We are still unsure why man kept these creatures in their homes , leading scientist believe it may have been for food or bizarre rituals.

There is no doubt that miliions of years ago life was much less diverse. And that hybridization played a huge role in much what is still here today. I hope dna leads to smething concrete whether it matches our taxonomic system or not.

dogofwar

CCA Members
DNA research HAS found natural hybridization in cichlids (as a means of speciation).

That said, the "hybrids are found in nature" rationalization of why random, mixed peacocks (mbuna, haps, Vics, etc.) created as a result of mixing similar fish in a glass box is "natural" doesn't make sense.

To go back to the OP's question: assume a mouthful of eggs in a tank or random peacocks (some of which are already hybrids) are hybrids... and have no commercial value. Unless of course they're labeled as some pure species or another with collection point, no less (which, never, never happens :rolleyes:)

Matt

There is no doubt that miliions of years ago life was much less diverse. And that hybridization played a huge role in much what is still here today. I hope dna leads to smething concrete whether it matches our taxonomic system or not.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Another example of hybridization as a mechanism for speciation: Cameroonian crater-lake cichlids:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC544937/

DNA research HAS found natural hybridization in cichlids (as a means of speciation).

That said, the "hybrids are found in nature" rationalization of why random, mixed peacocks (mbuna, haps, Vics, etc.) created as a result of mixing similar fish in a glass box is "natural" doesn't make sense.

To go back to the OP's question: assume a mouthful of eggs in a tank or random peacocks (some of which are already hybrids) are hybrids... and have no commercial value. Unless of course they're labeled as some pure species or another with collection point, no less (which, never, never happens :rolleyes:)

Matt

I think we can agree that hybridization has accured in the wild at some point throughout evolution. The point I'm making is that in the recent past humans have assigned fish into species and in the current lake barring any unforseen circumstances such as isolation or relocation the fish do a very good job of breeding true according to the species we have classified them under the gross majority of the time. Speciation is an evolutionary process which can be set in motion by natural processes that create a new niche to be filled or by pure chance either way it takes a very very long time. If there was some evolutionary advantage to hybridization I would assume fish wouldn't have the desire to breed with their own type and well malawi would be filled with mixed peacocks like petco.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Evolution unfortunately doesn't stop for taxonomists and the rate of cichlid evolution (and discovery) far exceeds science's ability to (definitely) classify it all.

Lake Victoria was empty a mere 15,000 years ago, which means that all of the speciation in that lake occurred (and continues to occur) really rapidly. Man-made changes to the lake (eutrophication chief among them) has altered natural depth and coloration barriers...and resulted in "new" species, whether described or not.

The amount of variability of Amphilophines (red devils) in a single seine pull in Lake Nicaragua could be described as a single species. Or 15. And convince nearly anyone that life doesn't fall into neat categories that conform to the holotype description...or the picture of cichlid-forum. There are plenty of gray areas. Even in Lake Malawi.

I'm blown away collecting in Uruguay because every.little.pond or stream has a different fish. And some have two morphs of a single mouthbrooding type of Gymnogeophagus gymnogenys. The same species? Different? What's certain is that it's genetic diversity and evolution in action.

In Lake Barombi-Mbo, Stomatepia pindu and S. mariae are thought to inhabit different depths of the lake. Well, where they come together there's a lot of overlap. A recent study of them revealed a bunch of fish that have characteristics of both species. Which are they? Has it always neen this way. Just since the water level has gone down a bit (the city of Kumba, Cameroon drinks from the lake...)? Who knows. And it's not like a lot of funds go to this sort of thing.

Does it validate tanks of "mixed Africans" in Petco? Of course not.

But please don't think that life in nature fits neatly or distinctly into "species". There is a ton of who-knows-what out there :)

Matt

I think we can agree that hybridization has accured in the wild at some point throughout evolution. The point I'm making is that in the recent past humans have assigned fish into species and in the current lake barring any unforseen circumstances such as isolation or relocation the fish do a very good job of breeding true according to the species we have classified them under the gross majority of the time. Speciation is an evolutionary process which can be set in motion by natural processes that create a new niche to be filled or by pure chance either way it takes a very very long time. If there was some evolutionary advantage to hybridization I would assume fish wouldn't have the desire to breed with their own type and well malawi would be filled with mixed peacocks like petco.

Last edited:

Localzoo

Board of Directors
"That's what I was tellin you before!" Lol! (Ohhh adult swim)
Maybe not so eloquently. I mentioned natural disasters...migration, lower water levels. Maybe even lack of food from weather causing fish to venture off to other locations.... The list goes on on what can cause migration or different locations to meet etc...most importantly we love fish, and we have the capability of enjoying what we want...just enjoy responsibly :) keep the wild populations strong and healthy so we can enjoy them far into the future.

Tooz100

Members
Wow some great info there ! . I wont be selling the hybrids without showing potential buyers the parents of the fish and I will explain that the female(mother) is un-identified . Then it is up to the buyer . I think in future I'll let the female spit in the main tank and let nature take its course , the first time i did this none survived so no problem