• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

water change pump

dogofwar

CCA Members
I drain...and then fill for this very reason.

Add Tots and other distractions to the equation and it = water on the floor :)

Matt

I do this, but just remember to keep on eye on both and not get distracted, unless you like having aquarium water all over your floor!

chriscoli

Administrator
I used to do the simultaneous drain/fill scenario. It does work but I found that I really had to stay on the ball. One glass of wine and well....I've had to get the shop vac out a few times. (yeah, I know...one glass of wine is all it takes for me). Shop vac at 10 pm and a big puddle of water on the floor does NOT promote marital harmony....even if it was the husband that poured the glass of wine in the first place.

When I did use both, I had the drain going using the Jehmco safety siphon setup (JSSSP-FGHT) and really liked it. For refill, I just attached an upside down "U" made out of PVC to hook the refill over the edge of the tank. There are several options you can use to make sure that the refill doesn't jet into the tank and stir up the substrate if you need.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm not sure which has produced more spills: drinking or talking on the phone and changing water...

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
Or

Or even deciding to handle some other aquarium chore at the same time, without the influence of alcohol or phones! I'll just refill that food container or clean out that filter while . . . hey, what's noise? [expletive deleted]

All of this makes me think that it is best to have a pump that is pretty fast, so that you are not sitting around waiting for the tanks to empty. I usually empty two tanks at a time, on the theory that that is less dangerous than filling a tank.

chriscoli

Administrator
Or even deciding to handle some other aquarium chore at the same time, without the influence of alcohol or phones! I'll just refill that food container or clean out that filter while . . . hey, what's noise? [expletive deleted]
QUOTE]

yep. been there....done that. :)

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I do this, but just remember to keep on eye on both and not get distracted, unless you like having aquarium water all over your floor!

True. Luckily the fish room floor is concrete, so it wouldn't be terrible, but without a floor drain it would still be a mess to clean up.

When I did use both, I had the drain going using the Jehmco safety siphon setup (JSSSP-FGHT) and really liked it. For refill, I just attached an upside down "U" made out of PVC to hook the refill over the edge of the tank. There are several options you can use to make sure that the refill doesn't jet into the tank and stir up the substrate if you need.
I like the idea of the attachment to hang on the tank, that way it can't slip out and just fill the floor. How did you attach the PVC to your refill hose? Was the PVC the same diameter as the tubing? Maybe we should hold a workshop at my place to go over this stuff, seems like very practical stuff even if you don't have a dedicated fishroom.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
True. Luckily the fish room floor is concrete, so it wouldn't be terrible, but without a floor drain it would still be a mess to clean up.

I like the idea of the attachment to hang on the tank, that way it can't slip out and just fill the floor. How did you attach the PVC to your refill hose? Was the PVC the same diameter as the tubing? Maybe we should hold a workshop at my place to go over this stuff, seems like very practical stuff even if you don't have a dedicated fishroom.
Nevermind, I went to the jehmco site and found what you referenced. Thanks for including the part number, that made it much easier. Essentially I can use the smaller one with a python hose, or the larger one with a garden hose. I think the larger one is the way to go, that way it keeps the python free for refilling. I'm assuming the pump could be upgraded in the future with the right fitting or same diameter outlet? Christine, do you use the standard pump that came with it?

chriscoli

Administrator
Nevermind, I went to the jehmco site and found what you referenced. Thanks for including the part number, that made it much easier. Essentially I can use the smaller one with a python hose, or the larger one with a garden hose. I think the larger one is the way to go, that way it keeps the python free for refilling. I'm assuming the pump could be upgraded in the future with the right fitting or same diameter outlet? Christine, do you use the standard pump that came with it?

Glad you found it. You can even make a simpler one if you want. There should be adapters available (either through Python or the Big Box Stores that will let you go from python to garden hose or whatever you need).

I do still use the original pump, but that's become the one I use with my RO setup. I'm using a much larger pump for my regular waterchanges. To be honest, the one that comes with that setup is good but a little fragile. I dropped one once and cracked it (I'm on my 2nd of those pumps). My Pondmaster pump has been dropped too but didn't suffer any damage.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Glad you found it. You can even make a simpler one if you want. There should be adapters available (either through Python or the Big Box Stores that will let you go from python to garden hose or whatever you need).

I do still use the original pump, but that's become the one I use with my RO setup. I'm using a much larger pump for my regular waterchanges. To be honest, the one that comes with that setup is good but a little fragile. I dropped one once and cracked it (I'm on my 2nd of those pumps). My Pondmaster pump has been dropped too but didn't suffer any damage.
Thanks for the heads up, definitely something to keep in mind. I'll probably test the pump that comes with it, but plan to upgrade it in the future. I'm sure they're not terrible to make, but its just easier to get one already put together and be ready to go.

blkmjk

Members
The problem with using a pump outside of the tank is net positive suction pressure. These pumps are designed to have suction pressure to operate properly. Now I'm lucky enough to to have a sump pump in my fish room so I can't say I have the same problems as listed above. Nor do I have any real solution to the problems at hand.

Drew