• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Repairing a broken tank

clearsky5

CCA Members
Well, I probably should have videoed this but, I found a new way to remove trim off a tank so that I could replace a broken panel on the tank.

I was given a 75 gallon (brand spanking new) tank, that had the end panel busted.
(tank had been broken in transit, so was either throw out or take it home and play......

I am one for salvaging whatever I can from such tanks so I figured worst case scenario, I would have some salvaged glass for other projects.

Now 75's apparently have (aqueon anyhow) 5/16" thick glass now.
But the problem is getting the trim off without having to cut it or bust the tank further...........

So.......... I proceeded to pry out the pieces of glass from the end panel, carefully, with plyers. I started with the obvious pieces that came out on their own, and worked my way to the tougher ones. I cut as much of the silicone away from the seam as possible and continued pulling the pieced out until I cleaned out the entire end panel.

The good news was I was able to clean up the entire area where the broken end panel was, but the bad news was I created a small crack on the front panel! (I had a bunch of choice words at this point!) so now there was two panels to replace!
Now one might think it was not worth it at this point, but I am a stubborn person when it comes to diy, so.....

I rigged up a hydralic jack between two blocks of 2x4's on the trim and slowly jacked up on the trim, and it slowly gave way to the silicone that was holding it on the top of the tank glass.
Between running a long blade up under the trim as much as I could and slowly keeping pressure between the top and bottom trim, the top trim popped off.
Once I got the top trim off, I was able to scrape off all the silicone from the tank edges and slowly pulled the front glass off...

I have cleaned up both the front panel and right end panel areas and wiped it down with acetone. It is now ready for new glass!

depending on where I purchase the glass from, the front panel will run me from between $120-$180 and the end, well, I can cut a new panel from the front piece I just took off.

I feel this was a success, in that I learned a way to remove the trim, but I could have made this a cheaper fix with just a little more patience.
I rushed pulling out the old broken end panel, and cracked the edge of the front by not taking my time....

good news.... no CUTS! me and glass..... whew..

david