• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Central Air

zackcrack00

Members
I definitely want to use one large air pump for my whole fishroom. And yes, this time it is actually happening. :D But anyway, I was looking at the pumps on Kensfish.com, and was wondering how I get the air from the pump into the tanks. Do I have to use PVC, or do they have outlets? If I have to use PVC, how do I hook that up to my 20 or less tanks? Thanks!

Here is the pump I am looking at:
http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-pumps/ecoplus-commercial-air-1.html

npbarca

Members
It's pretty simple. Those type usually come with a large valve bar. All you have to do is run airline tubing from each of the outlets. The problem is though I'm not sure you could run 20 tanks from that one pump, and get your desired air output for each tank. You could use 2 if one isn't enough. Main idea is all you need is airline tubing and some extra gang valves. Pretty simple.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I have the exact same pump running on my fishroom and it only does about 2/3 of the tanks. My fishroom has arounds 20 tanks so if yours has maybe 16 or 14 tanks you should be fine but I'd start out with something a bit bigger. I dont use any pvc and I still get air pretty evenly spread out through the whole room, well, through the part that is hooked up to it. It does save money and once I build a few small racks I'll upgrade or add another one so I dont have to mess with a bunch of smaller air pumps and aquaclears.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
95B4D406-F2F4-485F-A9AA-A7EE42D6BF89.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]Hey Zack do you want theses? They should help run air to everything....just have to remember where I put them lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rsretep

Members
I ran sixteen tanks with that same pump in my fishroom before changing over to an Alita 60, the eco plus can be a bit noisy if that is going to be an issue. I think if you research a pvc "loop" you will be much more satisfied with the overall performance of your new pump.

Becca

Members
The pump I got from Matt (dogofwar) runs 16 lines with air to spare. You have to buy slightly larger vinyl tubing to fit the output manifolds to the pump, but that is easy to find at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Check with Matt to see if he can tell you which pump it was. It is awesome. I actually have to put regulator valves because, in 10 and 20 gallon tanks, the output is so strong that the water bubbles out of them if I have the lines on full-blast.

clearsky5

CCA Members
i would check with Jehmco too as far as pumps go,,,
If you can afford it. Linear are the best but they are mucho $$$$$$$

my first pump was a Dah15 or something like that.... diaphram that is still running today (have had it for over 6 years)
I bought a 20 valve manifold for it, and ran an additional 18 outlets on smaller valves in addition...
Now many of the tanks were 10's 5's, and 2 1/2's.... but I ran sponge filters corner filters and two undergravel units on about 28 tanks....
david

I run two linear piston pumps from Jehmco. Both are super quiet, just ask them for a recommendation. You don't want to use one that is way oversize. My large one also needs a small fan to help cool it as it gets very hot. Both are on 1" pvc. Jehmco also sells the air valves and threading taps so you can thread the air valves into the pvc pipe. You can also use a small section of different diameter pvc (like 2") to help reduce the noise through the pvc pipes. I also use a close-loop design with a bleed-valve to regulate excess air.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
The idea of a manifold is to provide the number of outlets you need for your set up without causing a reduction in pressure from one end of it to the other. If you imagine a manifold made of only airline tubing, you can see that there would not be as much air pressure at the far end as there is at the end near the pump. But as long as the PVC tubing is over an inch in diameter, there will be almost no reduction in pressure from end to end. PVC is cheap and easy to cut and since it is easier to put valves into a 2 inch PVC than a 1 inch PVC, the larger is usually chosen.
There are a number of different valves you can use. Brass ones are the most expensive and last forever, well almost. Other types of metal ones and plastic ones are available. All require you to drill a hole in the PVC and insert the valve. That way you can put the valves where you need them. I put mine in after I have hung the PVC above the aquariums or mounting it to the rack.

Connecting the manifold to the air pump requires a hose, some hose clamps, and fittings to connect the hose to the PVC. All the fittings are available at most Lowes or Home Depots.

As for the air pump, the bigger the pump the better and liner air pumps are great because they are very quiet, they produce the amount of air you need (no need to bleed of excess air), and should require no maintenance except for making sure the air filter is clean. Dirt getting into the air pump is what causes them to wear out and need new parts or replacement. You can enhance the air filter using quilt batting.

If your air pump is not producing enough air for your set up, you can tell because you will be constantly adjusting air valves to get enough air to all tanks.

Last edited:
air

I ran sixteen tanks with that same pump in my fishroom before changing over to an Alita 60, the eco plus can be a bit noisy if that is going to be an issue. I think if you research a pvc "loop" you will be much more satisfied with the overall performance of your new pump.
I agree with using an Alita. They are fantastic pumps for the $$. great output for the wattage used. I currently use 2 Alita 15's(Kens) and 1 Alita 25(Ken doesn't carry-Angels Plus) plus a couple of those 4 outlet import pieces of sh&$! for my 63 tanks. After I move(sell) some more angels another A25 for me. I like to overdue filtration with 2-5 sponges per tank. I use a 'T' and 2 -12 valve manifolds for the A25 and just an 18 valve one for the 25. I have tall deep tanks(18-30"-Angels) and like heavy air. Just some some rambling thoughts.