• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

String of freak fish death. Apparant suicides

olzkool

Members
In the last few weeks I lost 3 fish by wierd self inflicted deaths.
It started when I added a piece of wood to one of my 75's for my pleco. About a week after I woke up one morning to see a fish had somehow gotten his head lodged in a large crack/ gap in the driftwood. It looked as if he stuck his head in there to get food and got stuck by the gill plates and could not back out. Chalking it up as a wierd accident, like a dummy, I left the wood in. Well 2 days later I woke up to another suffering the same fate. I broke that piece of wood off so it wouldn't happen again. Ruining the look of the perfect piece of wood for that tank. Came home tonight and turned the light on for feeding and I had yet another strange death. It looks like at some point today my jalo swam head first into the side (intake) of the power head. Needless to say he was a goner. I'm starting to wonder if my fish hate their life. Does seachem make Anti-depressants for cichlids?

olzkool

Members
I hope so. It really sucks. I hate losing fish, especially from the upstairs tanks. There are few that if I lost them I would need the anti-depression meds

Last edited:

Acpape0

Members
I hope so. It really sucks. I hate losing fish, especially from the upstairs tanks. There are few that if I lost them I would need the anti-depression meds

I know the feeling, there are two fish in my house that would hurt a lot to lose, a gold nugget(mine), and a catfish that for some reason is my daughters favorite fish. It is funny which fish end up meaning the most to you and the family.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Sorry about the losses. Sounds like maybe the fish were trying to hide and got stuck.

Will, definitely get lids on your tanks if you can. I've had all different sorts of fish jump. Nothing worse than finding a dried up fish on the floor.

chriscoli

Administrator
That sucks....sorry. :(

I've gotten rid of some past tank decorations because fish kept getting stuck. I just assumed that for some reason that place looked like a REALLY good place to hide to them. So I had to take it away eventually.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Sorry about the losses. Sounds like maybe the fish were trying to hide and got stuck.

Will, definitely get lids on your tanks if you can. I've had all different sorts of fish jump. Nothing worse than finding a dried up fish on the floor.

I know. During $1 per gallon, tanks out number lids....will trade stock for lids lol

Chris I agree the some decor seems to work, but some fish are not fans of change...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app