• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Corydoras in a Discus Tank?

breeia

Members
I have a question. What are your thoughts concerning corydora's in a Discus tank? I have always been rather a one species tank kind of girl, but thought cory's were alright. Put some in my discus tank yesterday and they seem rather "active". I guess after staring at Discus or Angels for the past ten years they would :blush:. However, although my discus do not seem to mind- something just seems amiss. Sorry for the newbie question and thank you for your thoughts!

breeia

Members
Thank you for the reply! Mine are albinos as well so hopefully they should be fine. I guess I'm just being a nervous "mom" :).

F8LBITE

Members
Some cories dont do as well in the higher temp. I have some Sterbai and they do really well and keep the substrate clean.

breeia

Members
ahhhh. Thanks for the advice. Substrate is kept clean (I vacuum at least once a day) but my discus do like it hot (84 +/-). Sounds like I need to do some corydoras research and perhaps move them to the 80 degree angel tank......

iamzrad

Members
I used to have emerald green cories in my planted tank some time ago. Even though these cories like the low 70s water temp, they had no issues with my water being in the high 70s, low 80s.

*What part of FF co. are you from?

chris_todd

Members
Some cories dont do as well in the higher temp. I have some Sterbai and they do really well and keep the substrate clean.

I have Sterbai in with mine also.

Ditto here on the Sterbai, they do great, look great, and don't bother anyone. Plus they're pretty good at cleaning up the food that the Discus miss. I only keep my Discus tank at about 78-79 * F, though, so YMMV.

IIRC, Frank Cowherd has Sterbai cories, I'm pretty sure that's where I got mine, and like all of Frank's stock, they're awesome. Get at least a school of six, though.

breeia

Members
Thank you for the insights. After looking online- I am pretty sure my school of pretty green cories are also know as a variation of the basic bronze---and would probably like the Angel tank better (assuming I can catch the little buggers).... Here's another question though with regards to the albino school- how do I tell what exactly they are albino of? (unfortunately the camera is broken). Apparently there is an albino version of sterbai according to the internet? I keep going from internet pics of the various albinos to looking at my school and am not so good with catfish because I am having troubles differentiating. Is there something specific that I should look for to determine if the albino school is sterbai? Or since the internet is always accurate (ha ha ha), is there even a albino version of sterbai?

Chris-Todd- Thanks for the tip on Mr. Frank Cowherd- will definitely look to him for my next sterbai purchase. Is he located in the area?

iamzrad: I think my one school was sold as emeralds. Have yours done well up to say 82? I'm located in western fairfax, centreville.

Truly appreciate everyone's help! This club rocks :)

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I have a small group of Sterbai in with my discus as well. Temp is around 80 and they do fine.

Your albinos are probably the standard albino aeneus, which is the same type as the "bronze" or "emerald." Albino sterbai have only recently been described or "discovered" so its less likely they were readily available at any given point.

Frank is in Southern MD, but his fish are top quality.

iamzrad

Members
iamzrad: I think my one school was sold as emeralds. Have yours done well up to say 82? I'm located in western fairfax, centreville.

Truly appreciate everyone's help! This club rocks :)

According to SubMariner (Richard), we don't call this club the best club in the world for nothing!!! :cool:

You have to take inconsideration that the water temperature at the surface is going to be a little bit more than at the bottom. So if the water temp is set to 82F. It will probably be 82F at the top, maybe 80F at the bottom.