• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pelmatachromis Ocellifer

JasonC

Members
Hey,

Curious if anyone in the club is keeping or has kept Pelmatachromis ocellifer or nigrofaciatus?

got questions...

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I keep 4 pelmatochromis. I got them from Rapps who said Loiselle ID'd them as ocellifer. Anton Lamboj suggested that they are likely nigrofasciatus.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hi Jason - see if you can find my threads about P. nigrofasciatus.

P. nigrofasciatus and occelifer are really closely related species and I'd bet that some or all of the fish called one are actually the other.

They're cool fish!

Matt

JasonC

Members
Thanks for the responses, all

So was curious how much digging/rearranging all y'alls did? Just recently moved a pair from a bare bottom tank into a temporary tank with substrate and they dug the living hell out of it. Considering that their final destination was supposed to be a moderately planted tank, I'm wondering if this is normal behavior or if they are just pissed at their accommodations?

Also curious if you guys think they could stand being in a 90gal with some Hemochromis lifalili? I have my doubts, but I am trying to reduce my footprint a little in the basement.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Mine dug quite a bit around breeding time. They'll get punked by the Hemichromis, unfortunately. They're really pretty mellow fish. I kept mine with acaras and Geos.

Matt

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Mine don't dig at all (also don't show signs of breeding at all). They are in a 40b planted tank with cories, ctenopoma, a female enigmatochromis lucansi, and congo tetras.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
Kribs (and friends) would be good tankmates.

I currently have a pair of P. buttikoferi, which both are different than Tilapia buttikoferi and kind of a slightly-larger, less colorful version of P. occelifer / nigrofasciatus.

As an aside, P. occelifer will eventually get a solid 7" or so. Still mellow fish but larger.

Matt

JasonC

Members
Cool... thanks for the info. Have to think more about the H. lifalili... no clue what I am going to do with them at this point. Matt, how often did yours get in the mood and tear up the tank? Sounds like this might be doable with more hearty plants and stuff that can attach to DW... annubias and bolbitus,etc.

dogofwar

CCA Members
They'll breed pretty regularly if the temp is warm and they're well fed. I'd say that they're more of a dig a hole in the corner-type fish vs. rearranging the whole tank...

Matt