• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

180 gallon tank vs Sump size

Alex

Members
Wanted to know what is the minimum sump tank size that could handle the water in a 180 gallon African cichlid tank?

Alex

blkmjk

Members
Imo 30 gallons min. But it really depends on where the drain pipe height is in relation to top of the tank.

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Alex

Members
Would you drill into the 180g and have an out/in flow pipes along with the sump and an overflow box? I heard that an overflow box is a great to have to regulate water distribution in the tank as well a back up system to prevent the tank from overflowing because the seal in the overflow box will stop the flow.

Love to hear about anyone's thoughts about this?

Alex

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Personally, I would never run a sump on an undrilled tank. I know there are ways to make sure it won't overflow, but none are fail safe. With a drilled tank, you have a closed system. Unless you over fill your sump, you will never have the chance of an overflow. Just my personal opinion, and I'm sure there are dozens of things you can do to make it safer, but I'm not willing to take a risk on a large tank.

An overflow box wouldn't have much to do with water distribution. If you are talking about water coming in from the tank, it is only going to enter the filter from the box location. If you are talking about water coming back from the filter, typically it doesn't run through the overflow box, but from a pump in the sump back to the tank. You can plumb this in a variety of ways to distribute water.

I know there are opposing opinions out there, and I'll let them speak to the positive sides of an overflow box.

With a large tank that is drilled, a sump is the best bang for your buck filtration wise.

blkmjk

Members
While I have run overflow boxes on un drilled tanks. I agree with Jon I would not do that again. Too many issues. That
said a sump is by far the best way to filter a large tank and there are so many options you can tailor the sump to fit your needs. Not to mention the available bio media space is far above and beyond a typical filter.

Drew

DBLN8

Members
If you do run a HOB overflow IMO you have to get an air lifter to help keep the siphon. Biggest problem with over flow box's is something happens you lose the siphon and your pump puts 30 gallons of water into the tank and floods, the air lifter can prevent that from happening. That been said I agree with the posts above a drilled tank will help you sleep much better at night.