• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Filtration options on 180 gallon keeping African Cichlids

Alex

Members
Quandry:

So the set up for this D#$@ 180g has me stressing out between the substrate and the filtration. I found a Fluvial Fx6 on sale with 5 types of media and then I was thinking about drilling in the tank and going with a LifeReef two siphon overflow box as well with either an automatic water change system OR have the overflow box with piping to drain into the floor.

Any thoughts on my thinking. Open to any and all suggestions. Every time I research I get more and more ideas my plans change. What should I do?

Alex

dogofwar

CCA Members
Probably the best option for filtration is a sump. The overflows can be problematic, so if you're not going to drill the tank, I wouldn't use a sump.

A couple of FX5/6 would be good for a heavily stocked African cichlid tank. Just clean them regularly :)

For substrate, use pool filter sand mixed with aragonite or something to buffer.

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I agree with Matt on his recommendations. A sump would be the most efficient way to filter a big tank, but if it isn't drilled, I'd stay away from a sump. I think running an overflow box is just asking for problems.

I currently filter my 180 with two FX5s and a couple of sponge filters. Water quality is just fine.

I agree that drilled sump is the best way to go for big tank. It's efficient and easy to clean. But I have reservation for canisters, because they are tedious to clean, can go anaerobic, and prone to leak that can drain the tank. If you don't want to drill your tank, nothing wrong to hang multiple HOBs in the back. HOBs do as good a job as a sump system except that you need to clean them frequently as the media capacity is minimal. But cleaning them is easy and frequent cleaning is better for the fish than to procrastinate.

Becca

Members
Whatever you go with, 2 filters are an absolute must on a tank that side, as is some sort of "back-up" aeration. When tanks are deep like that, a spray bar slipping below the water line is all it takes to kill everything.

FishEggs

Whatever you go with, 2 filters are an absolute must on a tank that side, as is some sort of "back-up" aeration. When tanks are deep like that, a spray bar slipping below the water line is all it takes to kill everything.
+1
Lost a few once to that myself.