• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sad day

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Caution hard to read

Just had to put down one of my ruby reds. I noticed some fighting in the 90 which usually gets resolved in a few minutes. I noticed the larger male who I've had for a few years now get into a lip lock with the younger male (one of his sons - a few days ago) who ripped his bottom lip and pulled the one part of his jaw off its hinge I tried to push it back in, place but no luck. He hasn't been able to eat so. I had to put him down.

Anyone ever seen aggression this bad?
Is it bc the larger male was old and getting "fragile"?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
I'm so sorry Will, that's really hard to see happen.

I've found fish with their jaw partially dislocated or ripped off (with apistos), it's never ended well. I've even put them into quarantine and given them antimicrobial dips to keep the infection at bay....nope. It's not a good injury.

I'm guessing in your case, the young whippersnapper punked the ol' man.

lkelly

Members
I had a breeding pair of Carpintis years ago in a 125. They had just had their first batch of fry and I was super excited about their breeding dress and all the little fish they were protecting. The next morning I woke up, bounded down the stairs like a kid ready to watch Saturday cartoons, and discovered to my horror that the Jack Dempsey in the tank had beaten the crap out of the (bigger) male Texas and his jawbone was sticking out 90 degrees from his mouth. There wasn't a single baby left that I could see. I kept the pair for a little while but he couldn't really eat and I had to get rid of them.

This was when I had to rely on my mediocre local fish stores and the once a year trip to Lancaster to see relatives and the obligatory stop off at That Fish Place. It took me a while to find fish I wanted for that tank and I still haven't owned any Carpintis since.

I feel your pain. My jaw hurt just typing this.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Wow. 90 degrees that rough.
The ruby colony is now just 2 females the male that won and a bunch of 2" unsexed juvies that seem to hold their own in the tank.

Leffler817

CCA Members
That's a bummer Will. Sorry to hear about it. I had to pull two fish from different tanks because of recent aggression, from out of the blue. It's a PITA every time this crap happens.

Vinh2o

Members
Man sorry to hear that. I almost had the same disaster happen to me in the summer. I had to go away for 2 days to photograph the Panthers vs Patriots pre season game. I feed all the tanks & cut the lights off in all the tanks since I would be gone for a few days. I came back turned on the lights on each tank. All was going well until I got to my last tank. When I turned on the lights my 6 inch Alpha Lawanda breeder make was pinned up in the corner. His son who is about 2 inches smaller and no even half as thick as his father was sailing gracefully thru the tank with his colors brighter than I have ever seen him. His body looked like the head piece worn by an Indian Chief. All the females in the tank where just watching recognizing a new King had been crowned. The father was pretty beat up. Damage to one eye & fins ripped. The Son was not just happy with Dad being pinned up in the corner he was trying to finish him off. I had to pull the son out & put in him in a separate 40 Breeder. A week later his colors where still intense & he we still pacing back & forth on the war path even though he was in a separate tank. At that moment I accepted the fact that it was never going to work out between the Father& Son any longer. I sold the the Son to a Friend of mine for $30.00. A week later I called my friend to check on the Son to see how he was adjusting to his new home. My friend told me he sold him! He advised that the next day he had friends and family over the house for a gathering. Some of the friends & family members are also in the hobby. They usually check his tanks out when they come over. One of his friends saw the Son & offered him $25.00. My buddy told him no he was not for sale. Some of the other guys in the room who keep fish overheard the conversation & a bidding war started. My friend told them again the fish was not for sale and talk was cheap. One if his friends offered him $80.00 left, went to the ATM and came back with money and asked him to hold him for a week or two until he got another tank set up. The guy came back in a week. The Son now stays in his own 90 Gallon tank. I am pretty sure had I been gone for 1 more day the Father would have been dead.

Tooz100

Members
Sorry haven't been on here for a while !
Gutted for your loss bud ! It's a ****ter when things like that happen ! As we all know that's the nature of Malawian cichlids ! I'm going tang tank in the new year

lkelly

Members
Man sorry to hear that. I almost had the same disaster happen to me in the summer. I had to go away for 2 days to photograph the Panthers vs Patriots pre season game. I feed all the tanks & cut the lights off in all the tanks since I would be gone for a few days. I came back turned on the lights on each tank. All was going well until I got to my last tank. When I turned on the lights my 6 inch Alpha Lawanda breeder make was pinned up in the corner. His son who is about 2 inches smaller and no even half as thick as his father was sailing gracefully thru the tank with his colors brighter than I have ever seen him. His body looked like the head piece worn by an Indian Chief. All the females in the tank where just watching recognizing a new King had been crowned. The father was pretty beat up. Damage to one eye & fins ripped. The Son was not just happy with Dad being pinned up in the corner he was trying to finish him off. I had to pull the son out & put in him in a separate 40 Breeder. A week later his colors where still intense & he we still pacing back & forth on the war path even though he was in a separate tank. At that moment I accepted the fact that it was never going to work out between the Father& Son any longer. I sold the the Son to a Friend of mine for $30.00. A week later I called my friend to check on the Son to see how he was adjusting to his new home. My friend told me he sold him! He advised that the next day he had friends and family over the house for a gathering. Some of the friends & family members are also in the hobby. They usually check his tanks out when they come over. One of his friends saw the Son & offered him $25.00. My buddy told him no he was not for sale. Some of the other guys in the room who keep fish overheard the conversation & a bidding war started. My friend told them again the fish was not for sale and talk was cheap. One if his friends offered him $80.00 left, went to the ATM and came back with money and asked him to hold him for a week or two until he got another tank set up. The guy came back in a week. The Son now stays in his own 90 Gallon tank. I am pretty sure had I been gone for 1 more day the Father would have been dead.

Did your friend used to be married to Demi Moore?

Indecent_proposal.jpg