• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

lizardboy

CCA Members
Hey! I'm new to the forum. I'm planning to do a West African 55 gal tank (2 pairs anomalochromis thomasi, a trio nannochromis parilus, 2 ropefish and probably one or two microsynodontis batesii), and I was reading up on the anomalochromis. In every article I read they described the species as peaceful, with some mild agression while breeding. However, someone on another forum told me that the A. thomasi coming from Guinea (where the majority of them are now collected, at least that's what I was told) are aggressive and would bully my nannochromis. Would someone with experience with this fish be willing to clear this up? I'm really confused. Thanks!

mchambers

Former CCA member
Welcome.

I've got some A. thomasi and I'd describe them as mildly aggressive, with some territorial aspects, but they don't hurt anyone else, and in my tank the aggression is limited to their own species. I've got them with keyhole cichlids (yes, I know that's not biotopically correct) and some tetras.

I got one batch from Jeff Rapps, which were tank raised, and another batch from The Wet Spot. I don't know if they're from Guinea or Sierra Leone, or some other country.

I've never kept nannochromis, so can't help you on that.

chriscoli has some, too.

chriscoli

Administrator
I *think* they'd be ok, but you never know. Nanochromis can be pretty snarky, so I almost wonder if the Anomalochromis might get punked by them....

Give it a try, but keep a close eye on them.

My Anomalochromis chase each other occasionally, but they're pretty darn shy.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I kept them years ago and found them to be mild mannered for a cichlid. I mistakenly kept them with cryptoheros species where they did not fare well.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd be a little concerned about the ropefish... never kept them both snake-like fish + small noodle-shaped fish usually = missing fish :)

Matt

lkelly

Members
I *think* they'd be ok, but you never know. Nanochromis can be pretty snarky, so I almost wonder if the Anomalochromis might get punked by them....

Give it a try, but keep a close eye on them.

My Anomalochromis chase each other occasionally, but they're pretty darn shy.

Cichlid-Forum would seem to back up Christine's observations.

nanochromis_zpsoecvjlu5.jpg

thomasi_zps78n6j3gh.jpg