• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New 125 rock work help please ?

olzkool

Members
Thanks. The pics don't do it justice at all. I gotta get the camera out tomorrow. The rocks were all hand picked and culled to get ones that either had the quartz veins running in the proper direction to match the angle of the set up or were just plain out awesome looking rocks. I ended up with a few hundred pounds of left overs lol . You cant see how nice of rocks they are by the pics. Plus most of them with the exception of a few small ones on the right are actually a lot taller ( see op pics). It would of looked better if I sat them all on top of the sand as they would have reached higher up in the tank but I wanted to bury them down to the eggcrate so no one dug below them and made them fall. I would hate to chip the glass or bury a fish alive lol

Last edited:
Looks great!! did you try it with both sides angling the same direction? Keep us posted on the tunnels I'm curious how the fish will act with them.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

daninmd

Members
I have a 125 with around 30 fish, most fully grown (incl some good size haps). I have a FX5 and a AC110 and it is plenty for the tank. I do water changes about once a month, around 50% and everyone is doing great. whenever I check nitrates (rarely) before a water change I am usually around 30-40ppm. fish are fine and very happy and breeding like crazy.

I am considering switching my 125 to sand but I am concerned about how messy it may be. Yours looks great did you have to rinse it a million times? Have you powered up all your pumps? If so does it disturb the sand or not allow it to settle? How many lbs did you use? Did you put the sand in before or after the water?
Looks good can't wait for more pics with the fish in!

daninmd

Members
I am considering switching my 125 to sand but I am concerned about how messy it may be. Yours looks great did you have to rinse it a million times? Have you powered up all your pumps? If so does it disturb the sand or not allow it to settle? How many lbs did you use? Did you put the sand in before or after the water?

use pool filter sand available at any pool store. its very clean. I usually give it a very quick rinse but probably doesn't even need it. its not too fine and doesn't stir up and get into the water. and its cheap

olzkool

Members
Thanks for all the compliments guys and girls. I really appreciate it!

Looks great!! did you try it with both sides angling the same direction? Keep us posted on the tunnels I'm curious how the fish will act with them.

I tried them both ways and just liked them going oppisite. I don't know why.

I will let you know if the fish use them and post up a vid

Last edited:

olzkool

Members

Its not messy at all. I think its actually easier to maintain. Its fine so it holds waste on top and doesn't let it slip down between the granuals like gravel does. It also vacuums super easy. I didn't have to rinse much. I just put it in a 5 gallon bucket, stick a hose in it and swoosh it around a bit while letting it overflow. After a few minutes its good. Everything is powered up including powerheads and it doesn't blow around much. I have it in other tank with both canisters and HOB's with no problem. Just make sure to turn your filters off during cleaning and water changes. I put the sand in first, then the water. I used about 150 lbs. Most people use pool filter sand but I have a hard time finding it locally in white. Most of it is more tan then I care for. Mine is Quartzite which is also a silica sand but its really white. I get 100 lb bags from the local road construction supplier for about $9 per bag. (Bel Air Road Supply) I will take some good pics with the camera once I get the fish in and situated.

Last edited:

olzkool

Members
Nice. That's the best way to do it. If anybody needs some I probably have a few hundred pounds left. I can bring it to the meeting if you like. Best part......it's free lol

tremper

Members
Hi Chris,

If you have a milk crate or two of the smaller gray or gray marbled white granite pieces available I will be at the meeting next week. Let me know.... Would be great.

Joe