• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New Bowfront 46 gal mixed African Cichlid tank

Jon8us

Members
New to the group and the hobby.

Here is my first attempt at a Peacock and Mbuna Cichlid tank.Would love to hear any comments/criticism

Tank consists of boiled native field stones and some additional beach stones.

Substrate is crushed coral and tank is filtered with 2 Penguin 330 power filters using the rite size cartridges

image.jpg

Hannibal

Members
Nice looking tank!

Fair warning though, keep an eye on the two melanochromis auratus (black and yellow fish). They are feisty little buggers and may cause you some issues down the line.

hmmmm. I do NOT like the clam shell thingee! The rocks and fake plants look good. (I think they're fake.) You might pick up some anubias, which would do fine in this tank and look natural to boot.

You have to be extremely careful with stocking a 46 gallon with Africans. I don't think your current stocking will work for the long haul. I have a 45 gallon with white finned acei and labs and it's a great tank. Neither of these species are hard on each other. (Tony will have some acei at Aquamania and they are gorgeous!). Also, I'm a big fan of catfish, so some syndontis lucippinis would be great in this tank.

Jon8us

Members
Nice looking tank!

Fair warning though, keep an eye on the two melanochromis auratus (black and yellow fish). They are feisty little buggers and may cause you some issues down the line.

They are already becoming an issue but I have a friend who is going to take them and put them in a 90 gallon with some adult/bigger fish

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys.I can understand why most wouldn't like the clams as they are far from natural environment but I live in Rhode Island right by the beach so for me it's a bit of my natural environment

WendyFish

Members
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions guys.I can understand why most wouldn't like the clams as they are far from natural environment but I live in Rhode Island right by the beach so for me it's a bit of my natural environment
I think it's a unique touch. Do the fish like them? I would imagine they could see them as quite nice caves.