• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

what are yall feeding your fish

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Wat's up everyone. I've been feeding NewLifeSpectrum the whole time I have been keeping large cichlids and predatory catfish. Recently I've seen many people having good results on this new YourFishStuff brand food. Many people also seem to like hikari . I was just wondering what everyone feeds there fish and I will be happy to hear everyones oppinions.

spazmattik

Members
I use NLS mainly too. I like to mix in some omega one because of the salmon (hey, its a super food) and hikari because my green terror goes ape **** over it for some reason. YFS is awesome. I also use YFS soft spirulina pellets, shrimp pellets, algae waffers and freeze dried krill. The prices are awesome (try comparing the 1/2 lb bag to a container of krill at a pet store)

WendyFish

Members
I feed a combo of NLS and Ken's flakes. Flakes are helpful in my tanks because I can make sure I've crumbled some of them up fine enough to hit the bottom for the catfish, and be edible by smaller fish or survivor fry.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I use NLS mainly too. I like to mix in some omega one because of the salmon (hey, its a super food) and hikari because my green terror goes ape **** over it for some reason. YFS is awesome. I also use YFS soft spirulina pellets, shrimp pellets, algae waffers and freeze dried krill. The prices are awesome (try comparing the 1/2 lb bag to a container of krill at a pet store)

I've never tried the yfs foods before. Might buy some, which kind do you recomend?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
cool, which one do you prefer out of all of them.

I like the amount of algae in the YFS. NLS is a great staple, though their large floating pellet goes right through my oscar and seems largely undigested. I like NLS Grow for my smaller fish. Ultracolor is taken readily by all of my fish. I only use Omega One for their floating super veggie pellet. None of my cichlids touch their regular cichlid pellet. All of my fish like Kens. I use Kens earthworm flake, color flake, metronidozole flake (for newly acquired fish), and krill pellets.
In sum, I really like all of them and find the variety makes me feel my fish are better off.

spazmattik

Members
cant go wrong with the spirulina or krill.. I havent tried any of the other stuff like cichlid cravers but it seems to have good ingredients.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I like the amount of algae in the YFS. NLS is a great staple, though their large floating pellet goes right through my oscar and seems largely undigested. I like NLS Grow for my smaller fish. Ultracolor is taken readily by all of my fish. I only use Omega One for their floating super veggie pellet. None of my cichlids touch their regular cichlid pellet. All of my fish like Kens. I use Kens earthworm flake, color flake, metronidozole flake (for newly acquired fish), and krill pellets.
In sum, I really like all of them and find the variety makes me feel my fish are better off.

I've nevetr tried giving my fish a varied diet. Just nls and krill. I'll try and mix in some of the yfs foods into their diet.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I use a combo of Kens color and cichlid pellets and Xtreme Big Fella for my large fish. I recently picked up some YFS cichlid cravers and those are readily accepted as well. I use Kens and YFS smaller pellets for the smaller fish, and earthworm flake, spirulina flake, and Repashy for my fry and grow outs.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Staple is a combo of Xtreme and Kensfish pellets... and live red wiggler worms a couple of times per week.

Fry get Golden Pearls...

Matt

rsretep

Members
NLS grow and cichlid, kens very veggie flake, cichlid pellets, algae wafers, and golden pearls (for fry), YFS freeze dried krill, and freeze dried bloodworms, Hikari Cichlid excel and bio gold, plus frozen bloodworms and spiralina brine shrimp.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I checked out kens fish. The prices are so much lower than the ones at my lfs. I saw an air pump on kensfish that was 71 dollars but at my lfs it is 119.

chriscoli

Administrator
I mix things up between Xtreme Cichlid Pee Wee (and Xtreme Catfish Scrapers for the plecos), Ken's Flakes, YFS Flakes, NLS, and Repashy. Fry get Golden Pearls when small and graduate to NLS Grow and Repashy Spawn and Grow as soon as they'll take it. I also occasionally give them frozen bloodworms, daphnia, or brine shrimp when I remember to.

Mbuna get mostly veggie flakes, but also Xtreme, NLS, and Repashy Soilent Green.

I'm a big fan of live food, so I try to give the fry microworms when I can. I give anything I'm conditioning for spawning either whiteworms or grindal worms, and my CA/SA cichilds get red wigglers if they can handle them. And, if they're really lucky, I bring home a bag of Frank's daphnia for them.

londonloco

Members
I'm also a BIG believer of variety. Whenever I hit Centreville Aquarium I get brine and black worms, which is prob only 4-5 times a year. I also always have 3-4 types of frozen foods, along with 3-4 different types of flake and pellets, sticking with the better name brands, Hakari, Cobalt, Omega One and of course NLS. I also try to freeze zucchini that I chop up and freeze, as a treat, they love it. I figure if I feed a variety of foods, they are more apt to get what they need.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Currently, using YFS earthworm flakes and shrimp pellets, Ken's spirulina flakes, and Cobalt brine shrimp and spirulina pellets. Also use Repashy from time to time.

Ken's brand flakes now include probiotics. I'm thinking I may try his new blackworm flakes the next time I order food.

For live food, I use grindal and white worms (although the white worms don't reproduce much this time of year). Like Chriscoli, I feed these mostly for conditioning purposes, but they are also handy for new fish that aren't taking to flakes.

For fry, I use Golden pearls and microworms. Other fish get the microworms, too, when the fry don't need them all.

After all these years, I'm still not convinced, however, that we really know which foods are best for our fish.