• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Renewing Your ACA Membership?

Will You Renew Your ACA Membership?

• Yes - I'll renew to attend the ACA 2012 in Indianapolis

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Yes - I'll renew even though I won't be attending the convention

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • No - Not planning to renew (Why?)

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Not sure if I'll renew

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Not sure if I'm an ACA member

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters

dogofwar

CCA Members
I believe that everyone who registered for this year's ACA convention received a year (online) membership to the ACA.

Do you plan to renew next year?

Please choose one.

Thanks,
Matt

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I'll renew - as a requirement for attendance of next year's ACA convention.

I still havent seen anything regarding the membership that was supposed to come with the convention. What is the status of that?

dogofwar

CCA Members
I know that we (CCA) sent the list of folks who registered...and that at least the people who had ACA forum registrations got upgraded to "ACA member" status (and given access to BBs).

Matt

I still havent seen anything regarding the membership that was supposed to come with the convention. What is the status of that?

mchambers

Former CCA member
At this point, I don't think I will renew. The only reasons I see to renew would be (1)to go to the convention and (2) to get the BB, and those aren't worth it to me. (I understand that this is purely a matter of personal choice and I'm not criticizing anybody else's choice.)

Also, I am a cheapskate.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm not sure, but...

I think step one is to register at the ACA website (cichlid.org). Based on your convention registration, you should be upgraded to ACA member status (maybe not immediately)...

Matt

how do I access my ACA membership?

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
At this point I will not renew.
Tired of it.
I will join the local club to get to the convention if I decide to go.

As to free memberships, I believe that only works if you checked the box that asked for it?

either way one of the problems that I have brought up in the past to the ACA when I was on the BOT is that they to not welcome a new member. They do not acknowlege them other than in a few months you get the BB. When I questioned it I was told that they do acknowledge but I hear these complaints all the time.
Oh and the BB does not come with the free membership because that is an "online membership"

When CCA gets a new member join by any method I try to email them and welcome them to the club. I try to do that within a couple days. That way they at least know they belong to something.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Tired of it.

As to free memberships, I believe that only works if you checked the box that asked for it?

either way one of the problems that I have brought up in the past to the ACA when I was on the BOT is that they to not welcome a new member. They do not acknowlege them other than in a few months you get the BB. When I questioned it I was told that they do acknowledge but I hear these complaints all the time.
Oh and the BB does not come with the free membership because that is an "online membership"

When CCA gets a new member join by any method I try to email them and welcome them to the club. I try to do that within a couple days. That way they at least know they belong to something.
GOOD JOB PAT! ITS LITTLE THINGS LIKE THAT THAT MEAN ALOT TO SOME FOLKS. IT GOES A LONG WAY TOO. ;)

dogofwar

CCA Members
...one of the big reasons that the CCA is growing and is so much fun to be part of! :D

Thanks Pat!

Matt

Tired of it.

Norm66

Members
Not to get all negative but...

I probably wouldn't. To be honest the people who really went out of their way to be welcoming to my wife and I at the convention were all the CCA members (who couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant BTW).

From the folks I came into contact with who I found out were ACA I got varying degrees of indifference and outright rudeness. They seemed to very much be a good-old-boys club and weren't interested in people they didn't know.

No, if I'm ever able to attend another ACA Convention I will, but I won't go out of my way to join them.

The CCA on the other hand I have enjoyed getting to know some of the members and also enjoy this forum. I'm hoping to attend a meeting this Fall and maybe another one in the Spring. I'll definitely keep my membership here even if I'm only able to attend one or two meetings a year.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have not figured out how to get my online membership to work yet. I check the forums on ACA but liittle ever changes. CCA's site and a few other sites on the other hand, constantly evolve and stay current with people asking diversified questions and sharing their personal experiences. Pat is also correct. It makes a huge difference to be welcomed into a club. Especially when you don't know anyone in it by face.

Nathan

Members
I agree I joined at the same time I joined CCA, only renewed one. I didn;t get anything out of aca.
The CCA could have their own convention ;)

JasonC

Members
I have not figured out how to get my online membership to work yet. I check the forums on ACA but liittle ever changes. CCA's site and a few other sites on the other hand, constantly evolve and stay current with people asking diversified questions and sharing their personal experiences. Pat is also correct. It makes a huge difference to be welcomed into a club. Especially when you don't know anyone in it by face.

+1

chris_todd

Members
I'll probably renew so I can continue to receive the Buntbarsch Bulletin in paper. I really like the BB.

Other than that, the ACA is an irrelevant organization to me, as I will probably never attend another convention, their forum is not useful enough to compel me to visit (I really only have free time to monitor two forums anyway, and that's CCA and GWAPA; ECC is cool and all, but I just don't have time), and as far as a venue for obtaining and sharing Cichlids, well how could they possibly compete with CCA?!?!?! I have CCA, what do I need ACA for (other than BB)?

mrkillie

Members
When I joined the ACA a couple years ago (maybe 2009?) I seem to remember getting a welcome letter in the mail. I did not renew-the only reason I joined was to go to the convention, which it turned out I couldn't attend anyway due to work. BB is fine, but now that I have the "on-line" membership, I just download a bunch and print the articles as I want to read them. I have no need for a printed version that will just take up space around the house-don't have space to spare!

Actually, I don't know if my on-line membership was a result of registering for the convention this year or if it was never turned off. I didn't get a 'welcome back' note, so maybe I was always an on-line member????