• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

red sevs.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Kevin has, but lost the eggs trying to move them (parents got stressed due to the other sevs in the tank)
He moved the pair from the group but don't know if anything has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kevin911

Members
Sevs have eggs again in the 90g, parents keep eating eggs though.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jmty

Members
Breeding Red Spotted Severums is not very difficult, but they can often take quite a while to pair up. The parents will clean off a flat rock surface or section of driftwood and the female will lay between 200-800 eggs; the male will fertilize them and then the female will tend to the eggs while the male patrols the perimeter. The eggs will hatch in 3-5 days and the fry will be relocated to a pre-dug pit in the substrate. The fry will be free-swimming within a week and then able to accept crushed flake food and baby brine shrimp. It has been reported that Red Spotted Severums can take an extremely long time to get it right when breeding and it is common for the parents to eat the fry at various stages for the first dozen or so attempts. They will eventually sort things out and get it right, but the fry could also be removed and raised if continuous failed attempts are excessive.

toddnbecka

Members
That's a fairly typical number of eggs/fry for most SA or CA cichlids of any size. Large adult Oscars will produce over 1000 eggs each spawn. One reason I prefer African cichlids in general, lol.

Aqua410

Members
Whats the growth rate on red severums? I seem to have been bitten very hard by the CA/SA bug and am considering doing a lightly planted grow out in my new 55 instead of the mbuna tank I've been planning. I am just wondering how long 2 sevs would be happy/healthy in a 48x13 tank? I know they should be moved up to a larger tank as they mature but I am already crafting a plan to put a 180 in a room I am renovating over the next few months. I am also looking at other CA and SA cichlids with slow enough growth rates to last 6-12 months in a 55 if you guys have any suggestions...