• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bloat

Tangcollector

Staff member
I just got in a large group of 1" F1 Tropheus Ilangi. I think that the shipping process took a lot out of them and it Looks like some of them have bloat. No bloated stomachs or anything. Just lethargic and no appetite. I have already lost 2 and fear I will lose more. I will start treating tonight with Metronadizole but some say that Clout works better. I don't have any Clout. Any opinions on which is better? I hope I don't lose too many. I have wanted these fish for a long time.

JLW

CCA Members
Greg,

One of the things to keep in mind is that bloat is not a disease, it is a symptom, and as such, can be caused by many things. Clout or Metro will treat for a parasitic infestation, but if the fish don't have parasites, they're strictly prophylactic. In this case, the fish are suffering from stress, and have bloated as a result of that. Adding a medication can be damaging.

Instead, make sure that the tank conditions are good, keep the lights off, and let the fish adjust.

NorCal

Members
Clout worked for a nightmare bloat infection in one of my tanks. I followed the directions and treated 4 days skipping treatment on day 3 and resuming day 4. I was also feeding metro/epsom salt soaked food to those that ate. Epsom salt in water as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app